JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

SNH Smartcam camera E6411BN no longer works since update

(Topic created: 02-18-2024 10:32 AM)
WestSeattleCoug
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

I've been using multiple SNH-E6411BN Smartcam cameras with the Smart Cam app on my Samsung Galaxy (various phones) for a long time. Yesterday, following an update of this app sent by Samsung, I receive messages telling me "The service is no longer supported for this model" for both of my cameras.

What do I have to do to be able to use my cameras?

When will a fix be sent out by the Smartcam app vendor?

17 Replies
Wizard99
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

WSC...

Thank you for providing the brilliant solution and steps required to restore use of my camera...  It took me some tries as the Aptoide (which I never would have found) kept installing their bloatware store.... but once I set the permissions in my mobile, it finally installed with only the need to add the Camera and its Password. It didn't request the old 2.31 to be uninstalled... I just finally realized it needed to be deleted after the inability to install 2.3....  I also saved the APK to my PC  should they decide to no longer make it available.

Your help was invaluable and appreciated...

Cheers!

0 Likes
pwdrin
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

I managed to fix this by uninstalling v2.31 and re-installing 2.30 as suggested, many thanks for that.  However as this is only maybe a short-term fix, can anyone suggest a replacement Samsung camera to replace the ones that have been affected but are newer models so not likely to suffer the same fate any time soon?  

Wizard99
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

WSC....  Regarding 2.30 Ongoing use ... 

Is 2.30 installed on our Androids "local" so we have use of the software for the foreseeable only as long as we have turned off "updates" for it?  Can Samsung brick the camera and/or disable 2.3 should they choose?

WestSeattleCoug
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

Wizard99 - since it is the Android OS that allows us to disable future updates lets me believe that Samsung won't do anything to the camera. The worst that could happen is that our phones get to an Android OS release where that version won't work. I had that happen on my old Samsung S8+ for a different app, which then got me to upgrade to a newer phone. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there's open-source or some other application that will allow you to get the info off of your camera. Keep in mind that when they reference "cloud", my camera has no data on the cloud but on the SD card on the phone. The "cloud" aspect is simply over the network...at least that's how I see it.

0 Likes
Wizard99
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

Thanks for that explanation..... When I originally purchased that Camera, no one thought about ( at least I didn't) the now common practice of manufacturers ceasing support and/or allowing products to brick. Having a home full of SONOS is a similar issue.... if you know that story.

0 Likes
Jammerslammer
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

Except SONOS allowed the old app to continue. Instead they released a new app. 

0 Likes
Wizard99
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

Yes.. they allowed it.. BUT! Only After there was a huge cry of "unacceptable" by the community of users and so much press about their intentions did they finally relent to the PR Backlash.

0 Likes
Jammerslammer
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

What Samsung have done here is shameful. I have 4 perfectly good cameras that I now have to consign to landfill! It makes my blood boil