Did you mean:Ā 

Original topic:

Stable release

(Topic created: 11-15-2021 12:58 PM)
Batman96
Star
Options
Discussions
The beta moderator says unlocked phones would be next week which to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense... you would think it would be easier to push out the update to unlock phones cuz there isn't a specific carrier.... plus it's Monday why so long for the unlocked phones lol
8 Replies
Loper_fan
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions
Probably because they have to make sure the unlocked firmware would work on any and all carriers.
StannFresh
Galaxy
Options
Discussions
Make sense
0 Likes
CjIsom
Halo
Options
Discussions
I sure hope so
0 Likes
lsegovia
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions
Have unlocked here hopefully next week šŸ¤ž
0 Likes
productfred
Galaxy
Options
Discussions
The Unlocked firmware is a combination of all of the carrier firmwares, minus the bloat (for the US, at least).

Unlike the rest of the world, there's really no all-in-one CSC for Unlocked US devices (unless you count XAA, which is used for non-US SIMs or carriers that don't have their own CSC, like Google Fi).

So for example I'm using an AT&T SIM in my S21+ Unlocked. The phone loads the "ATT" CSC just like a normal AT&T branded device would. The only difference is that there's not bloatware and updates come from Samsung directly.

Samsung doesn't usually release Unlocked updates separately because the updates still need to be approved by carriers. Get it?
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Discussions
The best explanation I've seen. Actually, it's the only attempt at an explanation I've ever seen. I'm unlocked with a T-Mobile sim. With so many "flavors" in the States, better safe than sorry. So the unlocked win by forgoing the bloat, but have to wait in line for the bloated to get out of the way.
USBetaModerator
Beta Moderator
Options
Discussions

Hello @Batman96,

As @productfred mentioned even for unlocked devices, we need approval from the carriers as they still need to follow carrier requirements when camping on their network. This delays process as we need approval from multiple carriers and it may be best interest of carriers to prioritize a carrier locked device testing before unlocked device testing as majority of their consumers are on carrier locked devices. 

Regards
One UI Beta Team

0 Likes
Options
Discussions
Why does a update need approval YOU made the phone not them
0 Likes