Original topic:

Galaxy Z Fold 5 - Freeze, Black Screen, Crash, Reset

(Topic created: 02-01-2024 10:50 AM)
JollyFerrell
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing an odd issue with my Z Fold 5 for the past couple months. I've never experienced something like this in any phone I've ever had. 

Issues:
My phone will crash 1 to several times a day 24/7. 

1. Be it a video, work, or if my phone is off... my phone will freeze, crash and reset. When it freezes the phone will take a dozen seconds to go black. And then it will reset with the Samsung logo and then One Ui will say Optimizing Apps with a load bar. Once unlocked from a reset, my apps are still in the Taskbar or are current running apps. I'm also now recently noticing random apps pop up at the bottom and say something like "(insert any app) is experiencing errors" and has two buttons, app info and open app. Or something of the sort. When I try to take a screenshot the app dissappears. 

Steps taken/troubleshooting:

Over the past couple months I've done a lot but not limited to:

• Enabling, disabling apps
  • Clearing chrome cookies and temp files
  • Updating all apps and phone
  • Starting the phone in boot mode and clearing phones cache and repairing apps
  • Etc...
Update: I backed up my phone and also performed a factory reset. Only re-download my text messages and contacts. But did not finish setting up my phone, it's acting mostly brand new. My phone experienced a crash about 15-20 hours later after backing up. Phones screen was off, and heard my phone turn back on...

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?
7 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Fold

Hello JollyFerrell, Welcome to the Community. We understand the concern with the freezing, crashing, resetting, and black screen on the Fold 5.

It seems you have tried several steps to help the phone.

Have you also ran the diagnostics in the Members app?

If you have done a factory reset, were there any changes?

0 Likes
JollyFerrell
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
Hi there, thank you for responding. I have tried a full diagnostic in the members app and everything checked out. I'm in the process of backing up my phone on Smart Switch so I can do a factory reset and download my information back to note any changes.
0 Likes
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Fold

Thanks for letting us know the results of the diagnostics. Please also update us with the results following the reset. We do recommend not restoring the apps from a backup. Rather, install them individually, if possible. This helps prevent corrupt installs and incompatibility. 

0 Likes
JollyFerrell
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
Will do, and will report with findings.
As a note however I will restore messages, photos, contacts and the like... but will not restore any apps.
0 Likes
JollyFerrell
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
Alright, so unfortunately, I just experienced a crash. I factory reset the phone and only brought my messages and contacts from the last phone. I didn't really set anything up yet. And I didn't download any new apps...

Was hoping for a better result after doing all this.
0 Likes
LewAdvSol
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Fold
that sounds more hardware related. I advise to utilize your warranty. They can't dispute it now that you factory reset it. Run the diagnostic so they have that before you call. They will likely need to review it for 48 hrs. stay on top of them.
0 Likes
JollyFerrell
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
Thanks, I just got off with support and going to take it into an experience store. I didn't realize they would have access to my diagnostic tests. But thank you so much for the advice. I'll definitely do that before I call.

P.s. it's only the morning and my phone crashed 3 times. Yikes!
0 Likes