JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Google Assistant voice command does not activate when driving

(Topic created: 02-20-2023 08:51 PM)
seank92129
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

When I am driving, or walking outside with my fold3 closed and the front screen turned off, I cannot seem to activate Google Assistant with the "ok google" or "hey google".  The phone does not seem to respond.  It does not matter if the fold3 is open  or closed.

But "Hey Bixby" works and is ready to take commands.  

But if I need to get something to respond via the Google Assistant, why doesnt this work?

When I am sitting at my desk with my fold3 next to me, Google Assistant responds to "OK google" or "hey google" when the screen is turned off, regardless if fold3 is open or closed

In the Modes and Routines part of the settings, i noticed that Driving mode was activated when it was connected to my bluetooth of my car.  But that did not seem to matter.  When I turned off the driving mode by disabling the "detected activity" for Driving.   But that did not work either.  

Also under Notification, Do not disturb, I also disabled the Modes there too.

But this did not seem to work while I am driving, Google assistant does not activate when I say "OK google"

Anyone have any insights what is causing google assistant not to respond?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
seank92129
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

I called 1-800-samsung and they gave me instructions on how to resolve this problem where my phone would not respond when I said "hey google".

I reset all my settings - not factory reset

Then I reset all the app settings.

RESET APP PREFERENCES Go to Settings >> Apps >> Tap on the 3 dots or more option on the right top >> Tap on Reset App Preferences >> Reset.

Then wipe the cache.

WIPE CACHE 1. Power the device off. 2. Press and hold the Volume up, and Power button. 3. Continue holding the buttons even if the Samsung logo appears. The Android system recovery menu will appear if this was performed correctly. 4. Press the Volume Up or Down button to select wipe cache partition, and then press the Power button to make your selection. Please perform the above steps to perform wipe cache partition. It will not erase any data on the phone.

Then google assistant by voice command (with phone screen off and locked) would respond.

View solution in context

5 Replies
Belaythatorder
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Fold
You can try retraining your voice assistant in the Voice Match settings and also making sure the option to access it with the screen locked is enabled.
0 Likes
seank92129
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

The google assistant reacts to "OK google" when my screen is locked and turned off -- when on my desk, next to me.

But when i am in my car or walking, it does not respond.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Fold
Hello I think its a software issue did you just update the phone you can always reach out to 1800samsung
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Fold

Hello, We understand how frustrating it is when Google Assistant does not respond. Just to be sure, have you followed the steps for setting up Google Assistant Driving Mode? This Google article provides the steps: https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/10217503?hl=en

If you've verified all the settings are correct, we recommend reaching out to Google for additional support of their service.

0 Likes
Solution
seank92129
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

I called 1-800-samsung and they gave me instructions on how to resolve this problem where my phone would not respond when I said "hey google".

I reset all my settings - not factory reset

Then I reset all the app settings.

RESET APP PREFERENCES Go to Settings >> Apps >> Tap on the 3 dots or more option on the right top >> Tap on Reset App Preferences >> Reset.

Then wipe the cache.

WIPE CACHE 1. Power the device off. 2. Press and hold the Volume up, and Power button. 3. Continue holding the buttons even if the Samsung logo appears. The Android system recovery menu will appear if this was performed correctly. 4. Press the Volume Up or Down button to select wipe cache partition, and then press the Power button to make your selection. Please perform the above steps to perform wipe cache partition. It will not erase any data on the phone.

Then google assistant by voice command (with phone screen off and locked) would respond.