Original topic:

Z Fold 5 RAM Hog

(Topic created: 02-20-2024 06:40 AM)
BlkJmsBnd
Halo
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Is it just me or is there anyone else who feels like Z Fold 5 with One UI 6.0 is a ram hog. I close out of apps all the time and have it set so that apps are not running in the background but it still eats up 7gb's of ram. What's up with that :exclamation_question_mark:😮💨
0 Likes
3 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

@BlkJmsBnd Do not think of RAM like you do storage.

RAM is a funny resource. RAM is fast and you want your applications using it as much as possible so that they are fast. Therefore you want to have lots of RAM and you want to use it. Have a low amount of free RAM is bad only if an app needs more of it. Generally as long as you have 20% or more free, you are OK. 

Samsung provides a very good utility to allow you to check your RAM usage. In Samsung's Galaxy Store you will find the Good Guardians app. In that tool is a plugin called Memory Guardian. If you open Memory Guardian, click on History near the bottom middle, you will see a chart of your RAM usage over time.   

BlkJmsBnd
Halo
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Thank you for reminding me of a very important point of view and that is "Do not think of RAM like you do storage." I realize I that what I thought was a problem does not exist. I must say though, I am really looking forward to One UI 6.1 and the updates that it's bringing !
0 Likes
betancd
Comet
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Good explanation by @LongHiker. For comparison, I also have a Oneplus 12 and Pixel 8 Pro in addition to my Samsung. The OP12 has 16 GB or ram and is usually using 14GB at any time. My P8P is usually using 8.5 out of its 12GB.
0 Likes