JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Note 9 restarting itself randomly, clock and calendar incorrect

(Topic created: 10-30-2022 12:14 PM)
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I have a galaxy note 9 running android 10 with One UI 2.5. Here's my problem. 

1. It randomly restarts itself
2. It's internal clock/ calendar randomly goes from present date (Oct 30th) to 5 1/2 months ahead (March 16) and alot of applications don't function. 

ANYONE WHO CAN HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED 🙏🙏

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
William_S22U
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Let's address the first problem first - the random rebooting.

Some random reboots are caused by third-party apps. Boot your device into Safe Mode to temporarily and safely disable all third-party elements. In Safe Mode, if the device does NOT restart, then it is definitely a third-party app causing the issue.

If it does restart, then delete the system cache. Boot into Recovery Mode and select Format Cache Partition. Reboot and test.

If these do not fix the restart issue, then be mindful of the LAST app open when the restart occurred. It could be that app.

If all else fails, unfortunately, you will need to back up your data and perform a factory reset to rule out if it is hardware failure or firmware issue.

Second, the time issue. This could also be caused by same app causing restart, but let's check some settings first.

Most times it is that the Automatic Date/Time Setting got corrupted. It happens. To check this... Go to Settings, then to System, then to Date & Time. Select the button next to Set Time Automatically to trigger it. If it is already turned on, then turn it off, restart your phone and then turn it back on.

Most applications depend on date and time, so if that is wrong, the app won't work.

I hope this helps you.

View solution in context

4 Replies
Solution
William_S22U
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Let's address the first problem first - the random rebooting.

Some random reboots are caused by third-party apps. Boot your device into Safe Mode to temporarily and safely disable all third-party elements. In Safe Mode, if the device does NOT restart, then it is definitely a third-party app causing the issue.

If it does restart, then delete the system cache. Boot into Recovery Mode and select Format Cache Partition. Reboot and test.

If these do not fix the restart issue, then be mindful of the LAST app open when the restart occurred. It could be that app.

If all else fails, unfortunately, you will need to back up your data and perform a factory reset to rule out if it is hardware failure or firmware issue.

Second, the time issue. This could also be caused by same app causing restart, but let's check some settings first.

Most times it is that the Automatic Date/Time Setting got corrupted. It happens. To check this... Go to Settings, then to System, then to Date & Time. Select the button next to Set Time Automatically to trigger it. If it is already turned on, then turn it off, restart your phone and then turn it back on.

Most applications depend on date and time, so if that is wrong, the app won't work.

I hope this helps you.
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Should I need to do a factory reset, will the phone perform all system updates this phone had received over time to bring it up to date?
0 Likes
William_S22U
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Yes, any security updates will be included in the factory reset, but still check for updates after reset, to be sure.

Also, after the factory reset, if you do that, check the Google Play System Update to make sure that got updated also. Go to Settings, then About Phone, and click on Google Play System Update. That will check for system updates to the Google Play code.

Let me know if need any further assistance.
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
After turning off the automatic Date/ Time, restarting the phone and turning it back on it seems to not change the date anymore. I also shut off auto optimization and so far so good. Thank you again for the advice. Much appreciated