JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

File size discrepancy between S22+ and S9+

(Topic created: 01-01-2024 03:03 AM)
DarkOrangutanPrince
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So last year I upgraded from an S9+ to S22+.

Long story short, I have a folder of ~7000 photos that is taking up 92.86GB on my S22+. They're not photos I really look at so I decided to back them up to Google Drive and also to my old S9+ (which I obviously no longer use) so that I could delete them from my S22+.

Fastest way to transfer between S22+ and S9+ was using QuickShare, so that's what I did. Took 8 transfers but all files were successfully transferred with the same number of files on both devices.

However, I decided to check the file size of the newly transferred files on my S9+ and was surprised to see that the files were only taking up 86.48GB of space. I checked the files and they all appear to be there. However, upon inspection of individual files, I have found that each file is taking up less room on S9+ compared to S22+.

What is the reason for this? Does QuickShare compress files during transfer (I was under the impression files were transferred "as is")? Or do file systems between the two phones calculate file size differently? Or is it a difference in how the two different versions of Samsung Files calculate file size?

Either way I'd like to know before I delete the files from my S22+...

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DarkOrangutanPrince
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

For the sake of anyone else searching this up, I've found an answer to my question.

For some reason, S22+ calculates file size in gigabytes while S9+ calculates file size in gibibytes.

Gigabytes is metric - 1GB is equivalent to 1000^3 bytes

Gibibytes is binary - 1GiB is equivalent to 1024^3 bytes

Not sure exactly why they're calculated differently - whether it's the different versions of the OS or the My Files app, etc. But there you have it!

View solution in context

0 Likes
1 Reply
Solution
DarkOrangutanPrince
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

For the sake of anyone else searching this up, I've found an answer to my question.

For some reason, S22+ calculates file size in gigabytes while S9+ calculates file size in gibibytes.

Gigabytes is metric - 1GB is equivalent to 1000^3 bytes

Gibibytes is binary - 1GiB is equivalent to 1024^3 bytes

Not sure exactly why they're calculated differently - whether it's the different versions of the OS or the My Files app, etc. But there you have it!

0 Likes