Original topic:

Galaxy S7 Final Update?

(Topic created: 01-09-2024 09:49 PM)
Raethreexs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Hello, 

I have an older phone, Samsung Galaxy S7 and there does not appear to be any support at all for it, not even from Samsung. 

The phone was introduced in 2016 and the last update was 2019. I believe there is an update that was not done because the phone is missing stuff like wifi calling and network operators and although the phone is unlocked and currently being used with MetroPCS, I am unable to make or receive calls, but I can send and receive text and access the internet with mobile data. This makes absolutely no sense to me. 

Is anyone out there alert and oriented and knowledgeable about this device? If so, I would very much appreciate your input.

Thank you. 

The phone was originally used with TracFone by the previous owner. 
0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Raethreexs The phone is not capable of 5G. The 4G network still exists as, more or less, a backup to the 5G network. Most carriers have heavily switched to 5G and expect all devices on their network to be 5G capable. You will need to talk to MetroPCS about providing 4G only service to your phone. 

The availability of Network operators is completely dependent on carrier and has nothing to do with the version of OS that you are on. 

Wifi calling availability is also something that the carrier controls. 

View solution in context

8 Replies
Lounp
Halo
Options
Galaxy S Phones
You're the only person on this earth with an s7 rn... šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£
Raethreexs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I feel like I'm in the movie idiocracy.
Options
Galaxy S Phones
The s7 is done with its updates try factory reset
I suggest buying a newer model instead
Raethreexs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Thank you for your comment.

Buying a new model phone every other year is what I don't want to do and it's not like they're cheap to keep doing that. I'm from a time where people bought a phone and as long as it wasn't physically damaged they kept and used it until one of them died.

Now they have people spending ridiculous amounts of money every year or so for a new phone. It seems to be more about keeping companies with a steady income more than keeping up with technology.

Samsung should still have ALL the updates available in an archive or something for those who don't wish to just trash a $300 phone that's not broken.
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Yeah me personlally i use my phones untill they ask for mercy. I was suggesting getting an s10 or s221 ultra... The s7 was at 700 when first was released. Also i believe that older phones dont have support due to updates being bigger. If they instal a new android update it would take about 50% of your internal storage.
Raethreexs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Am I the only one seeing how they get people to keep buying phones?

$700 is a used car.

All I want to do is communicate by phone.
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Raethreexs The phone is not capable of 5G. The 4G network still exists as, more or less, a backup to the 5G network. Most carriers have heavily switched to 5G and expect all devices on their network to be 5G capable. You will need to talk to MetroPCS about providing 4G only service to your phone. 

The availability of Network operators is completely dependent on carrier and has nothing to do with the version of OS that you are on. 

Wifi calling availability is also something that the carrier controls. 

Raethreexs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Thank you
0 Likes