Original topic:

Phone does not make any notification sounds

(Topic created: 09-05-2023 05:05 PM)
iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

In the last 24 hours, my phone (Galaxy S21 5G) has stopped making notification sounds.  I get the notifications, and it vibrates briefly, but there are no sounds with the notification.  I've checked all the obvious things including: 

• Verified the phone is not on mute or vibrate, and the volume is up to max on Ringtone, Media, Notifications, and System
  • Checked that there are no App settings that mute or lower the volume
  • Do Not Disturb is not on
  • Separate app sound is off
  • I'm updated to the latest Android version (Software version = G991U1UES8EWG3)
  • I've restarted the phone
  • I've reset all the Settings to default
  • I've cleared the cache and data for the app I need most (Opsgenie)
  • The speakers on the phone work (media sounds play)

Another odd thing is that when I go to Settings > Sounds and vibration > Notifications where you can select the sound, nothing plays when I select different sounds. It does work on Settings > Sounds and Vibrations > Ringtone.  I've restarted the phone in Safe Mode, and this behavior is unchanged.

When I go to Volume settings, and adjust the volume on the different types of sound, Ringtone and Media always play when the volume slider is adjusted.  Notifications will play once, if I change it's volume after Ringtone or Media, but then stop for all future adjustments until I adjust Ringtone or Media again.  System never makes any sound.

I'm specifically concerned about the app Opsgenie, since I need to hear on-call alerts for work, but none of the app notifications are making any sounds.

35 Replies
JBTechfanatic
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
What you want to do is open the entire sound panel you will notice that there's different categories the one I circled is the one you want to be turned up to get notification sounds to access this menu press volume up then press the 3 dot settings symbol at the top of the volume bar that you first see. as well as of course as you stated before making sure they are set to notify youScreenshot_20230905_183240_Samsung Members.jpgScreenshot_20230905_183405_Samsung Members.jpg
0 Likes
iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you, yes, the volume is up to max on all of them, including Notifications.  It still doesn't make any Notification sounds.

0 Likes
iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Found an article on this problem indicating it's happened before... unfortunately, none of the suggested resolutions work for me (except I haven't yet resorted to a complete factory reset): https://backtodefault.com/samsung-galaxy-s21-s22-no-notification-sound/

0 Likes
user1i4ACcechb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Have you found a fix yet? Just purchased a refurbished s21, did all updates and have no sound on notifications. Thanks
dartdiva72
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm having the exact same issue on my Samsung S23 Ultra. Tried everything suggested and still no notification sound. All other sounds work Ringtones, audio from videos etc
0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Have you tried to boot to Safe Mode and see if the sounds work then?  That should eliminate any app causing the issue.  If they work, then you're in for the tedious job of uninstalling apps till things start working... or a Factory Reset. 

EDIT: and I assume that you're not running the beta. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
I have tried running in safe mode. There was no change in the notification sound behavior.
0 Likes
Markg2004
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Exactly the same issue and nothing suggested has rectified it. And I've looked for ages...anyone had any luck?

0 Likes
userZnlrQXvwTK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

This truly frustrating, I have same issue, I notice if I have bluetooth setting on I've had the Galaxy S3, S5, S8, S9 and now S21 Ultra... What a disappointment. I've never had so many issues with phone until this model. I've missed important notifications, Samsung is no help.

0 Likes