JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Face Tags Missing From Gallery App

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
MSwan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
The ability to tag faces/people so that the gallery app will then recognize them, group them, and make them searchable is completely missing from my phone. 

If I open a photo of people, there is no button to manual tag the person/people in the photo. The ability to add a generic tag is there. 
In addition, when I click the magnifying glass on the main page, I get Locations, Shot Types, & Things, but no People section. 

I would really like the ability to search and sort my photos according to the people who are in them, and it appears that the Samsung Gallery app is supposed to have this functionality. 
I would appreciate any advice and to know if I am just wrong, or possible doing something wrong, or anything else you think might help. 

Thank you. 

My phone: S22 Ultra, any and all updates have been done, Android 14, One UI 6.0

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22
I think that your Gallery hasn't detected a face yet in one of your photos. Once it does, you will see People and Pets at the top of the search window when you click the magnifying glass icon. Once that happens you can select that person and confirm photos that the person appears in.

You can select a photo and add a tag but it won't directly add that photo to the magnifying glass criteria.

View solution in context

0 Likes
6 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22
I think that your Gallery hasn't detected a face yet in one of your photos. Once it does, you will see People and Pets at the top of the search window when you click the magnifying glass icon. Once that happens you can select that person and confirm photos that the person appears in.

You can select a photo and add a tag but it won't directly add that photo to the magnifying glass criteria.
0 Likes
MSwan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Thank you very much!
Amy idea how long it might take it to recognize a face?
I have dozens of people photos, and I've had this phone for 3 weeks and a Samsung phone with the gallery app for 2 months.
Also, should there be a button right here to manually add who the person is? Or is that old functionality? 1714877647329.jpg
0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22
No that spot on your screenshot will not have anything like that. When you click the magnifying glass you will see something like this screenshot.

Have you tried clearing the cache on the Gallery?1714882104202.jpg
0 Likes
MSwan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Ok. Thanks. I saw the attached info online, but I'm guessing it's from an older gallery version.

I did clear the cache, but just earlier tonight. Haven't seen any change yet. 1714882716404.jpg
0 Likes
Josht007
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Fyi I just asked Gemini what a good third party Gallery app is for Android and it recommended Piktures, and it reminded me I used to have this app on an old phone about 8 years ago and it was fantastic. I just re-downloaded it and I'm going to begin using it as my main gallery app. I'm going to mess around on the free version for a while but there are multiple upgrade options and you can do a one-time purchase of about $8.50 to open up all of the features for life. I will probably be doing that. First I want to make sure that it can search for faces and keywords like the Samsung gallery app is having issues with.
Josht007
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
After messing around a little bit on this app, just wanted to let you know it doesn't look like you can do face search. All of the other features seem pretty incredible but if it doesn't have face search I'll probably delete it and try another option