Original topic:

Messaging App Preference

(Topic created: 03-30-2022 02:28 PM)
Marshyboi
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Hello,

Just looking to expand my knowledge base a little ang get some opinions and insight. Since the S22 Ultra came with two different messaging apps, which one are you using and why? I know the Google's has more options but is there any other distinct benefits of using one over the other? 

Thanks!
9 Replies
Options
Galaxy S22
Google has more options... but that is also allowing Google more access
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
I don't know what it came with but I use Signal for basic texts and Telegram for long-term, ongoing chats.
SeekerHulk666
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Google to replace the stock app and the carrier's abomination. Whatsapp for the pure connected communications.

The way I look at it, Google already has alot anyway considering Android itself, so I really don't see the point of paranoia there personally.
mmbol
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
J
Solution
tom2055
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
This is why I still use Samsung messages: the majority of people I text use iPhone so not RCS just regular old SMS/MMS. When I would send a pic with Google messages it would be horrible quality, if it was a screenshot you couldn't even read text!I just assumed it was the MMS limit and that was due to compression. However when I switched back to Samsung messages the issue went away, pictures were just sent in higher quality (if you look at the resolution of the pictures, the ones from Samsung messages are higher resolution) idk why this happens, ig samsung messages is better at compression? Anyways untill that's fixed I won't be switching from Samsung messages. This might have been fixed, I haven't tried Google messages in a few months so maybe it's fixed I just haven't taken the time try again lol

Edit: a screenshot sent with Google messages sent in a resolution of 299x640 and the size was 61.69 KB
A screenshot sent though Samsung messages was a resolution of 486x1080 and a size of 165.37 KB huge difference!
Some screenshots have recently even sent in the full 1080x2400 resolution! just with a smaller file size than the original screenshot
PaperStation
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
Samsung messages RCS works for me. It has nice options as categories and ability to utilize link sharing for large files right in the app. Also it's less battery drain and apparently Google messages has been found to be sending user text data back to Google recently. I don't care that it doesn't support reactions not like people even use it that often any how.
Also an option to send images in their original size instead of it being compressed or changed..

I actually don't understand the big importance of RCS even if it works it still so far behind telegram or any messenger app. There is so much push for it and it barely even works between all my Android contacts. Really Google has so much potential with hangout or with all these years to make an actual messaging app but they keep flip flopping and killing apps.
(Gchat, wave, hangout, etc)Screenshot_20220330-162552_Gallery_17215_1648671952.jpgScreenshot_20220330-162842_Messages_17217_1648672122.jpg
tom2055
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
Yes, being able to access link sharing straight from messages and sending original quality photos is awesome!
Marshyboi
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
I appreciate all of the insight everyone!
userX6wvWCLKih
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22

I just bought the S22U, upgrading from Pixel 3XL. Or is it an "Upgrade"?  With the 4-year old Pixel, my pics sent via Google Messenger sent as full-res. Why are they HORRIBLY low-res using the S22U?!? I won't switch to the Samsung app as it doesn't support Device Pairing to my PC, which I've found incredibly handy. If I can't get it sending full-res via Google Messenger, I might be sending this thing back.