JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why is that we can't update our software without WiFi?

(Topic created: 12-18-2023 08:40 AM)
Rskyline
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22

How do we suggest this officially to Samsung?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22

@Rskyline This is a carrier specific item. A very few (one at least) allow it. The others do not. 

View solution in context

13 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22

@Rskyline This is a carrier specific item. A very few (one at least) allow it. The others do not. 

Rskyline
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Even tho my phone is unlocked? And it gets official Samsung software and not carrier specific? Which ones allow the use of mobile network?
0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22
Yes because the carrier posts the updates to their update servers for their users.
Rskyline
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
How does that work when you get into a beta test? If the carriers has nothing to do with it? I feel like Samsung unlocked updates don't go thru the carrier. Still I think this can be implemented by Samsung on the settings, same deal as you can either limit or not your usage of data by month on your phone regardless of your carrier settings. Here in the US you get unlimited Data per month and there's no need to rely on wifi.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22
I don't know the details for sure but I believe that Samsung uses MDM to temporarily change the update server on the phone. At the end of Beta they restore it to the carrier setting. For the carrier the consideration is not how much data you are allowed, it is more about how their towers will be overloaded when everyone is trying to download the update at the same time.
Spunky850
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S22
Go to settings-> click on Software update and you'll see the next options. Click on Auto downloads and there will give you the option to choose between cellular or wifi. Hope you have this option available on your phone. SmartSelect_20231218_101615_Software Update_1000002936_1702919775.jpg
Rskyline
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Is this a Samsung unlocked device or an ATT carrier device?
0 Likes
Orion13
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
I can only add that AT&T allows it.SmartSelect_20231218_111910_Software Update_1000036356_1702919950.jpg
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22
Interesting! This must be regional for AT&T. I've never had that option and have used AT&T for years.
0 Likes