Original topic:

ProMode: has anyone been able to get an answer why Samsung destroyed RAW photo support in 2023?

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Before 02/2023 with firmware CWB7 (and older) on the S22 Ultra Samsung gave us useable RAW files in ProMode:

• shadow and highlight recovery superior to the jpg

• Adobe AI De-Noise compatible

With CWCE and newer (including following devices as the S23 and S24 series) the dng files became completely obsolete, losing all the features that make a RAW photo a RAW photo. It's now just another less compressed JPG copy in a DNG container.

So far, customer support has never given a useful answer to this, so my question is: Has anyone else received a useful response?

Screenshot 2024-04-07 092551.jpg

ā€ƒ

4 Replies
betancd
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Not sure if it answers your question but have you tried the "Lossless RAW" option within Expert RAW? I find I get much better results though file sizes are massive as RAW should be. Of course ExpertRAW photos are somewhat processed during in the app.
0 Likes
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

It has nothing to do with the question as this is not about ExpertRAW.

CornbreadColonel
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I've been trying to figure out what the current status of Pro mode is, since all the samples available on the net are a couple months old at least. I saw that the gain numbers in the stock app don't match third party apps, which may contribute to reduced DR if not compensated for.

Since it's being demosaiced into a 12-bit file, do we know if the 16 bit files produced previously and by third party apps are truly 16 bits of data, or just 12 bit color data in a 16 bit wrapper?

I'm going to do some new tests with my s24+, hopefully figure out current answers to my questions.
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

@CornbreadColonel  Nothing has changed with how Samsung does it.

If you want I can provide with your third party app samples (and of course ProMode) of the S24U and an old S22U photo when it still was real raw for you to analyze.

I also still kind of have access to an S23U and S22U of people I know.

0 Likes