JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Upgrading from S21 to a S24 and email STILL does not work

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
Flattwin
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Am a long time Samsung Galaxy user and finally upgraded my S21+ to the S24 Ultra 2 months ago. For the most part love the new phone but I have a problem that I have never had on my previous Samsung phones. This is my 4-5th new Samsung phone, so have pretty good experience with the transfer process.

Used the transfer adapter cable to copy everything over to the new phone and I thought everything came across just fine. Then tried to access my Pop3 email on the new phone and nothing. I click on the "email icon" and it opens fine then I get 3-4 orange bars going horizontally across the screen as if its trying to access my emails but nothing.

Ok so I go back to my old S21 (which had been turned off) and after it boots up I open up the email program and guess what? It shakes hands with the email server just fine and immediately downloads fresh emails. Since it has no SIM card in the phone its communicating via my WiFi, but it works great.

Ok so last night I kept both phones turned on and laid them next to each other. Opened the "Email app" on each phone and went line by line on every setting that I can find and everything was identical on both phones. Problem is that the old phone still "shakes hands" with the email server and my new S24 does not.

Suggestions or ideas?  This is really frustrating to have a new wonderful device that works on almost every area but losing email almost makes me wonder about turning it back in if its not going to work.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Flattwin
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Wanted to let everyone know that its finally working!! Am guessing that the PW that was migrated over with the new phone was wrong or corrupt but once I re-entered everything after deleting the old setup, its finally working!

Thanks for everyones help!!

View solution in context

0 Likes
16 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S24

@Flattwin One thing to be aware of is that, by default, when email clients access POP3 accounts they download all messages and the messages are removed from the server. Sometimes email clients have an option to leave on server but the default action is to remove all messages from the server. What this means it that when your S21 gets the messages from the server there will be none of those messages on the server for the S24. 

The solution is to use IMAP instead of POP3. Email clients leave IMAP messages on the server. So multiple clients can see the same messages. 

If your S24 can't access the email server, I would delete the email account settings in the S24 and then re-enter the info on the S24 for that server. 

Flattwin
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Thanks and my accounts on the cell phone are setup to leave the emails on the server. Then once I get back home (or a hotel somewhere) then I download them to my email program on a desktop or laptop computer. No need for multiple people seeing the emails, its for me personally.

0 Likes
Dj_Damjano
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
What provider are you using for your email?
0 Likes
Flattwin
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Westhost and truthfully since they were bought out by a company in England, their customer service has been worthless. I have my website and email account with them and have used them for over a decade.

0 Likes
Dj_Damjano
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
Are you getting POP lock errors or unable to connect?
0 Likes
Flattwin
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

"Couldn't verify account

Unable to connect to server"

Is the error message I get on the S24.  I hit "done" at the bottom when checking my email settings and it says "checking incoming server settings" then get the above error message.

0 Likes
Dj_Damjano
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
Seems like you can use IMAP with Westhost.
Try that using the following info:
Server Information

Account Type: IMAP
Incoming mail server: chimail.westhost.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): chimail.westhost.com

Only other thing I can think of is that when you did the copy from s21, it might have copied the s21 signature too and it's not matching, but I assume you did try clean setup.
0 Likes
Flattwin
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Thanks for the suggestion but....

1. The S21 works great and has for years using these settings.

2. I cannot find anywhere in the "server settings" to change from a Pop3 to IMAP setting to even give it a try.

I have not done a completely fresh install of the email app. Was hoping (and trusting) that everything came through fine on the data transfer. Are you thinking that something (like the PW) was corrupted?

Thx!

0 Likes
Dj_Damjano
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
No. Normally when you copy from one phone to another, especially for secure apps like email, you also copy handshake cookies. It is suggested to do clean setup for emails when using 3rd party providers with mail apps. Those cookies hold identifying info for the device you are accessing your account from, like phone model, OS info, etc.
In your case it could be that your server is looking at your S24 with S21 identified cookies.
Also IMAP is selected when originally set your account. It will ask you if it is a POP3 or IMAP.
You don't need to reinstall your mail app, just setup a new account on that app.
By the way, are you using samsung mail or other mail apps?
0 Likes