JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4 Wi-Fi connectivity to phone - rant & question

(Topic created: 12-02-2023 10:56 AM)
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch

So, I just had **bleep** of a time trying to get my Galaxy 4 LTE watch to connect via wi-fi to my phone when I am out of bluetooth range after connecting to a new phone.  Everything worked perfectly on my old phone, and Samsung Tech support is so completely useless that I have to wonder why they even bother pretending.

Anyway, it seems that deep in the wear settings (advanced features) there's a slider for remote connection, which is NOT set to "ON" by default.  Once I slid it over, connectivity problem solved.  I haven't seen anywhere that a) there is such a setting, b) it must be turned on, or c) an explanation of what it's for.  If it is a necessary function for watch connectivity, it should be turned on by default.  It may be a stretch, but I'm going to assume, most people who buy a smart watch want it connected to their phone (yes, even it's a standalone). I understand it is also needed for "find my phone".

So, now I have a question.  Does the watch and the phone have to be on the same wi-fi network for connection continuity? I know it doesn't for "find my phone"

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching out. I can certainly understand your frustration with your remote connection being turned off, and I would be happy to assist you further. Please note: Remote connection is automatically enabled when the watch connects to a phone via Bluetooth for the first time, but you can turn it on or off whenever you'd like. You can sync Wi-Fi profiles from your phone, so your watch will automatically connect to Wi-Fi networks that your phone has used before. With the Remote Connection feature, your watch can sync with your phone over the cloud. All of your watch's functions will be available, except for transferring music and images from your phone. Give this link a try for more information on the remote connection feature: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00061431/

View solution in context

0 Likes
1 Reply
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching out. I can certainly understand your frustration with your remote connection being turned off, and I would be happy to assist you further. Please note: Remote connection is automatically enabled when the watch connects to a phone via Bluetooth for the first time, but you can turn it on or off whenever you'd like. You can sync Wi-Fi profiles from your phone, so your watch will automatically connect to Wi-Fi networks that your phone has used before. With the Remote Connection feature, your watch can sync with your phone over the cloud. All of your watch's functions will be available, except for transferring music and images from your phone. Give this link a try for more information on the remote connection feature: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00061431/

0 Likes