Original topic:

Flip5 Alarm managment

(Topic created: 11-24-2023 06:18 AM)
bent fender
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

On the Clock>Alarm page I ended up with 2 alarms that I can turn ON/OFF (arm/disarm), or I can also create a new alarm by hitting the "+" symbol.  How do I completely delete any alarm from this page? 

When a scheduled and armed alarm goes off with the phone folded closed, the Cover-Screen shows one kill and one snooze button, NEITHER of which silences the alarm. Unfolding the phone there is a kill button but it doesn't silence the alarm either. To silence I have to unlock, go to the Clock>Alarm page and disarm the alarm. Unfolding and reclosing the phone acts as a snooze button but this isn't documented anywhere.

It's a phone I just bought so I presume that the clock is a Samsung clock so that archived horror stories applying to Google-Clock do not apply.  It would be appropriate for the clock to be at least discretely identified/watermarked as a Samsung app.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
bent fender
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

One more case of brain-dead programming which, in this case, I suppose is not a Samsung but an Android issue. Another factor is that very often guidance explains how to land on Mars without ever bothering with how to first get into Earth orbit. The problem could be bad devs but is much more likely to be a question of the profit vermin google administration not providing adequate funding for development. After having asked I forget how many people in I don't know how many places I brought the phone to the dealer for a solution, there one of three persons at the counter had the answer: to not press the BUTTON but to slide it and to the right at that.  Now a slider is a very common and well known and used control icon, it doesn't even resemble a flashing disk with an X in the middle.  It usually resembles a line with two unmistakable ends with names on them; those names in this case could be Sound and Silence or just an arrow pointing to OFF.

It was while lecturing a class of 400 students that a prof once told us something like this: "We are entering the era of globalizing cultures and interaction, in some of which some numbers may not even exist or may be unusable in certain contexts, some concepts may be totally unknown, and so it will never again suffice for communications to  be understandable but it will be necessary for them to be impossible to misunderstand. One of the first tests is, well, actual testing with a wide spectrum of subjects, another is to approach composition from several angles".... and the prof went on and on about how to communicate properly in the new era.  That was in the early sixties, 60 years ago!

View solution in context

0 Likes
7 Replies
bent fender
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

For what it may be worth Do-Not-Disturb is OFF.

For my money nothing but user intervention on either the alarm setting page or the Cover-Screen (where an armed alarm should have a CANCEL/REARM bell icon) should ever be allowed to DISARM an alarm that has been set, and silencing or snoozing a triggered alarm should unconditionally work with the kill and snooze buttons).

0 Likes
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

Hello, Welcome to the Community. We know how frustrating alarms can be.

Here is an article with steps to manage alarms on your phone: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083202/

Also, check to see if there is a Sleep Routine or Mode set on the phone.

You can also try clearing the app cache or data for the clock app using these steps: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077611/

bent fender
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

OK, thanks. I got the deletion part, I wasn't patient enough to wait for the check-mark to show that the line item (alarm) had in fact been selected. A trash bin however never meant deletion.

As for clearing the CLOCK cache I did that too, in addition to doing a full reset about once a day (just to learn how to re-tweak the unit).

I still cannot shut the alarm off or snooze it with the supplied buttons that flash while ringing but in addition to opening/closing the lid the alarm also goes snoozing if I sweep a page, this isn't documented either.  The only thing that works by way of a placarded and documented 'control' is the popup text annunciation close/snooze.    

0 Likes
bent fender
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

I just did yet another Factory Reset and it's doing exactly the same thing. I'm taking it back to the dealer  Monday morning.

0 Likes
bent fender
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

adebdum:  the re=tweak started at

20:30 Reset

20:40 start re-populating

20:57 ...done, wait for downloads to finish

21:14 "Done updating"

21:19 try to set alarm "App wil be downloaded when you're connected to wifi"

21:30 Finished "Open" (clock).  ...Alarm set for 22:00

N.B!  Everything is as per factory at thios point, all in defaults!

22:00 Alarm goes off, cannot silenece except as per previous.

22:15 by chance I look at annunciator page and it's STILL downloading stuiff ..."Installing"

22:27 "App installation complete"

**bleep**?

22:28 set alarm for 22:30

22:30 alarm triggers, cannot shut off

0 Likes
bent fender
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

Apparently two distinct clock apps are availabable, a samsung one and a google one so how do I tell which is which since the icons, logos, and app interfaces do NOT id the sources as one would expect that they should? 

0 Likes
Solution
bent fender
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

One more case of brain-dead programming which, in this case, I suppose is not a Samsung but an Android issue. Another factor is that very often guidance explains how to land on Mars without ever bothering with how to first get into Earth orbit. The problem could be bad devs but is much more likely to be a question of the profit vermin google administration not providing adequate funding for development. After having asked I forget how many people in I don't know how many places I brought the phone to the dealer for a solution, there one of three persons at the counter had the answer: to not press the BUTTON but to slide it and to the right at that.  Now a slider is a very common and well known and used control icon, it doesn't even resemble a flashing disk with an X in the middle.  It usually resembles a line with two unmistakable ends with names on them; those names in this case could be Sound and Silence or just an arrow pointing to OFF.

It was while lecturing a class of 400 students that a prof once told us something like this: "We are entering the era of globalizing cultures and interaction, in some of which some numbers may not even exist or may be unusable in certain contexts, some concepts may be totally unknown, and so it will never again suffice for communications to  be understandable but it will be necessary for them to be impossible to misunderstand. One of the first tests is, well, actual testing with a wide spectrum of subjects, another is to approach composition from several angles".... and the prof went on and on about how to communicate properly in the new era.  That was in the early sixties, 60 years ago!

0 Likes