JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung T5 & T7 SSD issues on macOS Monterey

(Topic created: 11-08-2021 05:23 AM)
DieHardBattery
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Both hard drives are not recognized on 2 M1 Macs (M1 Pro Macbook, M1 Mac mini).  My goal is for the drives to use NTFS because I also deal with Windows machines.  Installed on the macs is Paragon NTFS For Mac M1 Version.  

I have determined that the above mentioned app is not the issue.  Sometimes, when connecting either drive, one of 2 scenarios occur.  Either nothing will happen at all but checking System Report shows the drive under USB with the correct voltage, or I get a message saying the connected drive cannot be read with options to Initialize, Eject, or Ignore.  Choosing Initialize opens Disk Utility where the drive is shown.  After making sure to enable "Show All Devices", I run First Aid on the SSD and it is successful.  However the Erase function fails every time.  Most times I get "Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed. : (-69825)".  A few times I get something about an I/O error.  This is despite trying different formats (NTFS, APFS, etc).

The firmware is up to date on both drives and security is disabled.  The drives run fine under Windows 11.   Other troubleshooting steps I have tried:

• Uninstall/Reinstall NTFS For Mac

• Reboot MacBook Pro

• Trying different ports and cables

• Connecting SSD to Win11 PC and performing initialize/cleaned using diskpart utility.

• Verified that both SSD's can be accessed and used in Windows using NTFS

Attempts using macOS Terminal vs Disk Utility produce the same results.  Connecting a USB flash drive works fine on both Mac and Windows.  At this point I am led to believe there is either something going on with the drives or macOS Monterey, but I am now at a point where I cannot isolate the problem.  Have others experienced this?  If so, what worked for you?  I'm not sure where to go from here.

0 Likes
11 Replies
userAjqoGBfMPi
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Did you find a solution yet? I am experiencing the exact same issue.

0 Likes
userjOJEKuD4KN
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

me too with a portable SSD

0 Likes
Solution
DieHardBattery
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yes I did actually. Using the cable that comes with the hard drives actually means something in this case (I’ve always been able to work around that with other things), and unfortunately mine were nowhere to be found. But these cables will also work and ended up solving the problem for me.

CBUS 10-inch Short Length USB 3.2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0868F8T26?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

userKMrfl5n0ZP
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

hi Everybody,

I am very glad to share this Samsung community with you,

I have just followed all instructions written on the doc below, and everything is ok now, my SSD T5 work normally with my new Macbook Pro 2021,

Monrerey 12.0.1

for resume, you have just to go to security and policies on mac and allow Samsung to be installed, with reducing the security of your mac disk and allow to identify developers or companies you will have all details in this document

https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com/global.semi.static/Troubleshooting%20Guide%20for%20macOS%20C...

Enjoy and thanks to Samsung

a big fan, and client

snoussi radouane (Iguelan7)

Capture d’écran, le 2022-01-04 à 19.48.29.png

Hannes Tornberg
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello! 

I am also on Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1 and I have the same problem. I have had it through various updates of my OS and was really hopeful to see that someone had made it work. I followed your instructions (and the trouble shooting guide), but no change for me unfortunately - what do you think I am doing wrong? 

Kind regards, 
Hannes

0 Likes
davemeister
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,

I have a closely related problem with the X5 and Monterey.  I could have posted here, but you might look at what I've done here:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Monitors-and-Memory/Samsung-X5-SSD-fails-to-mount-in-macOS-Monte...

0 Likes
userZeGQP5IrOG
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

After installing macOS 12.0.1 Monterey, T5 (which had been working fine with Big Sur) gives the message "Failed to check for free space or failed to check for volume".  Attempts at reinstallation get "This package is compatible with this version of macOS".  How is this happening yet again?  Doesn't Apple speak to suppliers like Samsung before a new macOS is introduced?   Right now:  does anybody know a fix?

userZeGQP5IrOG
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Samsung Customer Care replied to this next day, 10 November, asking for the SSD T5 model number, which I provided.  The problem persists:  I still get "Failed to check for free space or failed to locate a volume" but also "Current software is up to date".

BTW:  I've no idea how got into my message header.

0 Likes
usersrUcAKEZFT
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

On MacOS 12.2.1 and getting the "Failed to check for free space or failed to locate a volume" error.

I initially used the T5 drive on my old mac. This is the first time I'm using on new Macbook Pro 2021 and can't access drive.

No request on Security screen to allow anything for Samsung.

Any ideas?