JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

SIM Upgrade and backup SIM

(Topic created: 04-11-2024 05:08 PM)
hennmann
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I purchased my Note 20 Ultra before my service provider was able to provide me with 5G service in my location. My current SIM card is only LTE and my service provider sent me a 5G SIM card. 

What is actually stored on my SIM card and if there is data important to me, how do I back up my SIM and transfer it to my new 5G SIM card? 

I have SIM Management on my Note 20 Ultra 512 but don't know what it's for and when I attempt to gain information on Smart Switch, all I see is transferring data to another phone😡. When you get another phone you simply transfer the SIM card.

0 Likes
5 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@hennmann 15 to 20 years ago people stored contacts on their SIM cards (primarily people outside the US). Today there is none of your data stored on the SIM card in the US. The only thing on the SIM card is carrier information. So there is nothing to do other than swap the SIM cards and reboot your phone. 

hennmann
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thanks LongHiker

I live in Canada and while waiting for response I stuck in my new 5G card and of course activated it after finding it wouldn't work so I had to contact my service provider and give the card numbers. I see same contacts etc. as before. To be on the safe side I will use Smart Switch with the LTE card and then put the LTE 5G card in and do a restore. It is a learning process because for a number of years I used iPhone and iTunes and yes almost 4 years later it is still a learning process

0 Likes
hennmann
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Before for connections etc. it only indicated LTE even though my service provider enabled 5G indicating the SIM was not 5G complient and now it shows 5G/LTE. In the signal strength indicator it still shows the 5 bars and I don't know if 5G should appear up there as well? The upper RH corner is what I'm referring to as well. 

0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@hennmann Typically the upper right hand corner will show 5G and the signal bar strength IF Wifi is OFF. 

If Wifi is ON and you are connected to a Wifi network, you will see the Wifi signal strength next to the cellular signal strength. It will not show 5G or type of cellular connection. 

Solution
hennmann
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Here is an update on my situation and LongHiker thanks for pointing WIFI signal strength blocking LTE or G5👍. I was only getting LTE and on the Bell support forum there were a number of complaints about not getting G5. One customer rep from Bell mentioned "your walls or other objects are likely preventing G5" WELL🤣👎! I told her that I can walk to my window and look out and see the tower nestled in the middle of my small town which is about a mile or 1 1/4km across with some residents giving blowback about a G5 tower sitting beside them due to reports of the strong signals being possibly harmful. After I mentioned that 5G add on was not showing up in My Bell app and still no 5G another rep mentioned restart your device. My my my, 5G now appears where you mentioned WIFI would block the indication and My Bell app now shows it. My guess is they were dragging their **bleep** on enabling it because it wasn't included in my package BUT I also mentioned Bell's competition, Sasktel offered me 5G, 5GB more of data, and my same long distance package for $18 less and said they are offering more for less $ and is why I was insisting on it while they were insisting it would cost more.  Thid reminded me of an old "proverb" from the 60's, money talks and 🦬💩walks🤣.

Anyway other than this prattle, as for the SIM concern, I swapped and everything remained and I remember on one of my much older iPhone, a password could be placed on the SIM due to contacts and other data being stored on it.  This is why I was concerned about what was on the SIM. As it is some newer phones don't use a SIM card anymore and instead use eSIM. 

0 Likes