JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Add the option to hide specific folders in the Samsung Gallery

(Topic created: 06-27-2023 11:46 PM)
Penoff
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Will Samsung ever fix the Gallery app by adding an option for  hiding specific folders from the app? It's been probably 10 years since the app was created and it still doesn't have this absolutely basic option. It is very annoying when you have a ton of music with album art on your device. Same goes for images for many other purposes, which you don't want to see in the Gallery app, which is supposedly made to show you your photos. There is an option to exclude "albums", but it only works for separate lowest level folders, which is useless. Also it does nothing in Photos section of the app, which if you ask me should only show photos from the camera folder and nothing else. It is not that difficult for developers to add the option to include and exclude certain folders. The ".nomedia" file is not a solution as it messes up with other apps accessing other types of media files like music.

When you pay a ton of money for a flagship phone, these kind of issues really make you think is it really worth its price.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options

Thank you Penoff,  for your interest in sharing your idea with Samsung. Welcome to the Samsung Community. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

View solution in context

0 Likes
11 Replies
JBTechfanatic
Black Hole
Options
Penoff Good news all the features you want are available you can move merge and delete you can also put them in password protected folders I have included screen shots where you need to make changes šŸ˜‰ Screenshot_20230628_010726_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230628_010821_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230628_010842_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230628_010928_Gallery.jpg
0 Likes
Penoff
Asteroid
Options

I don't want to move, merge or delete folders or files at all. All I and many other want is an option to tell Samsung Gallery app to skip some user specified folders from scanning and showing in the app and that includes sub-folders too. Is this so much to ask for? I have this in the music player I am using so it doesn't add system and other app sounds into my music library.

I was using the Photos tab of the Gallery app for probably 8 years now. I never used albums in the app as I don't find them as easy and convenient. There were always images that appear in the app, which are not photos, videos or anything that belongs in that app. Of course the app has no way of knowing as there is no option to skip folders from scanning. I mentioned music album art. Some people may have photo documents and other stuff that is just not for the Gallery app, but there is no way of removing it from the app and not modifying the actual files and folders in any way that may cause issues with other apps.

It seems that I have no other choice, but to find a way to live with the Albums function of the app, because Samsung won't fix this and I am not going to waste my time writing my own Gallery app.

DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Open the Gallery app
Tap Albums
Tap More icon (3 vertical dots)
Tap Select albums to show

Version : 14.1.06.0
0 Likes
Penoff
Asteroid
Options

I know how to hide albums. I have always been using the Pictures tab (I called it Photos earlier as my phone is not in English). I was trying to avoid using the Albums tab because when you open the app it doesn't go to a specific album like photos from the camera. It just shows all albums. Maybe this will be the only workaround and I will have to replace the Gallery icon on my home screen with a shortcut to the actual album I want it to open.

0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
You know that you can arrange the albums too by pressing and holding, then drag them to where you want them, right?
0 Likes
Penoff
Asteroid
Options

Yes. I found that out today.

I guess I want too much from Samsung. An app that opens with a tap and shows only my photos from the camera. šŸ™‚

0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Well, at least it goes directly to the camera album directly from the camera app.
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Samsung sells billions of phones around the world, it's impossible to please everyone. We all have our pet peeve. If this is the worst thing in life that you have to suffer though, consider it a win?
0 Likes
Penoff
Asteroid
Options

I have an idea how big companies try to make the most profit. Samsung isn't different and wouldn't waste time with something so simple if they already sold the device to so many people and it works acceptable. Nothing is perfect after all.

0 Likes