JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Chat features in samsung message app

(Topic created: 02-26-2023 03:36 AM)
faithfulServant
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I purchased an unlocked S23 Ultra. I am currently on Verizon. I don't have the chat feature in the samsung messaging app. It shows up in Google messages but I don't want to use Google messages as my native sms app. I want to use samsung messages with chat features. Does anybody know if it's because I have an unlocked device? Or is anyone having the same concern? Or does anyone know how to get the chat feature. 
17 Replies
Solution
Biggus
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S23
Chat in Samsung messages worked on T-Mobile on an unlocked phone, but their version of chat is only compatible with other Samsung phones and possibly only on the same carrier so I moved to Google messages and got used to it. Until RCS is fully working between implementations google's will unfortunately be the most common and best one to use, even if I like Samsung messages more in general. It also handles those obnoxious "xxx loved 'copy of entire paragraph of text' " messages you'll get from iphone users and tags messages with icons instead which is a big plus. Even once RCS is standard between carriers, Apple probably won't implement it so we'll still be dealing with terrible low quality MMS videos from them until the end of time.
faithfulServant
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Thank you so much. I completely agree with everything you stated. I recently ditched my iPhone 14 Pro Max to be full encompasses in Samsung ecosystem. I love it. Those low quality videos from iPhone users are killing me. I absolutely love the QR code option when sending a video to another user. Like you said well probably be dealing with it until the end of time lol. Have a great day 😀
0 Likes
userIkPGqHGr9p
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
So I didn't have carrier services app by Google installed. As soon as I did it worked just fine, hope this helps
0 Likes
userfSfSE5Ek9w
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I added carrier services from the Google Play store and it didn't seem to make a difference. Was there anything else I needed to do after downloading the component?
0 Likes
userIkPGqHGr9p
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I should also say I do use Google messenger and now it works. If I switch to Samsung it's back to MMS.
userfSfSE5Ek9w
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Oh, gotcha. That makes sense. I saw chat features right away on Google Messages. Thanks for the follow up. I still prefer the customizations of Samsung Messages App over the RCS features of Google Message App.
userfSfSE5Ek9w
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I came here hoping to find an answer as well. I like that Samsung Messages has a lot of customization. On my AT&T N20U, I had the chat features along with integration to Samsung Members. I recently picked up an unlocked S23U, and I'm disappointed that something as simple as read/received notifications aren't available on an unlocked version. I love how I can use custom backgrounds on my SMS Messages. I miss the read/received notifications, and I was tolerant of not having the "like" options. But now it's no fun either way since you can't customize Google Messages or use your AR Emoji that Damsung helps you make, in Google Messages.
faithfulServant
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Agreed 👍🏻