JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Health App Not showing correct awake time

(Topic created: a month ago)
JS2312
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I have a new Galaxy 6 watch and I'm using the Samsung Health app to monitor my sleep.  It worked fine for 3 nights then last night I had a disturbed night and it hasn't recorded my awake time correctly.

I slept from 11pm until 2am when I woke up.  I couldn't get back to sleep so I got up and rea a book.  I went back to bed at 4am and slept until 7:30am.  The app has correctly recorded two periods of sleep and added the total hours asleep to tell me how long I slept.  However it has not included the 2 hours between my sleeps as awake time so it shows me being awake for only 4% rather than 27%.  

How can i get the app to recognise that the period between 2am and 4am should be included as awake time for my sleep record?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
realaud
Supernova
Options
The gap is your awake time. The awake time that shows up in orange are you micro wakes, such as turning over, getting up to potty, etc. i think anything over a half hour/hour registers as two separate sleep period, rather than interrupted sleep. If it registers as a single sleep period, you would have a big orange awake period on a single cycle. Did you remain horizontal in bed, or get up and wander around? In essence you were awake for 4 percent of your actual sleep time, but you weren't registered as in a sleep state when you were up wandering around. This is normal.

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 Replies
Solution
realaud
Supernova
Options
The gap is your awake time. The awake time that shows up in orange are you micro wakes, such as turning over, getting up to potty, etc. i think anything over a half hour/hour registers as two separate sleep period, rather than interrupted sleep. If it registers as a single sleep period, you would have a big orange awake period on a single cycle. Did you remain horizontal in bed, or get up and wander around? In essence you were awake for 4 percent of your actual sleep time, but you weren't registered as in a sleep state when you were up wandering around. This is normal.
0 Likes
JS2312
Asteroid
Options

Thanks for your reply and I can see why the app might default to that position.  My concern is that by not registering the period between 2am and 4am as me being awake during a sleep cycle it looks as though I had a good night's sleep when in fact I had a poor night's sleep.  If I could edit the data so that the period is recorded as part of a sleep cycle it could then recalculate a sleep score and show that I only slept for 73% of the time.

Any sleep coaching recommendations the app gives me will be based on an assumption that I slept well unless I can make an edit.

I guess that the app won't let me do this so I'll just have to make my own assessment of what is happening and ignore the app, which is a shame because one of the reasons I bought the watch was to record a history of my sleep as disturbed nights are a frequent occurrence for me.

0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
The watch can't tell whether you took a nap, got up and then went back to sleep, hence two separate sleep sessions. I eould suggest staying lying down in bed, and trying to keep your heart rate snd breathing slowed, even if you toss and turn, or are restless, it sholud count as one sleep session.
0 Likes
JS2312
Asteroid
Options

Thanks again, I get what you're saying but the advice I've had from my GP is to get up and do something like read a book so that my mind changes and then I can go back to sleep.  I'll just accept that the watch won't let me record a disturbed night as one sleep session and work around it.

Thanks for you help though.

0 Likes