JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Seamless transition to new Samsung phone?

(Topic created: 01-07-2024 01:38 AM)
Natey
Comet
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

The last time I upgraded from an S10e to a Z Flip 3 using Samsung Smart Switch, my Android apps transfered over, but the e-mail accounts (multiple accounts in each of Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, ...) didn't, IIRC. I had to manually re-add the e-mail accounts and their passwords back in a number of those e-mail apps: not a small task.

Doesn't the Android apps' data (and cache?) get moved to the new phone?

Now I have multiple 2FA Authenticator apps too, and it would be a major hassle if that needs to be re-setup on the new phone. That's why I dread having to turn in one phone to upgrade to another: if I discover later that something is missing on the new phone, I won't have the old phone to rely on.

Anyone out there with a similar setup and managed to "Smart Switch" to a new phone seamlessly with no issues?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@Natey I think that it is done this way for security. If someone uses Smart Switch to copy your phone you wouldn't want them to automatically have all of your passwords and access to your accounts. 

Anything that uses 2FA would almost certainly need to be confirmed. 

I have a habit of opening all of the apps on the new phone before turning in the old phone. This ensures that I didn't forget something. 

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@Natey I think that it is done this way for security. If someone uses Smart Switch to copy your phone you wouldn't want them to automatically have all of your passwords and access to your accounts. 

Anything that uses 2FA would almost certainly need to be confirmed. 

I have a habit of opening all of the apps on the new phone before turning in the old phone. This ensures that I didn't forget something. 

Natey
Comet
Options

Thanks for the info about security of copying, @LongHiker 

0 Likes