JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Tab S9 - No updates in 2024

(Topic created: 03-13-2024 10:54 PM)
VAHDYX
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
I have the US Tab S9 XAR variant that hasn't received an update since the November 2023 security patch. 

I know Samsung tablets don't get monthly updates and quarterly updates instead, but in my case it's not even quarterly what's up with that?

I connected my tablet to my PC using Smart Switch and still no updates, and even reformatted my tablet thinking that there was some sort of software block. No luck obviously. 

I read that the plus and ultra variants got updates but the base S9 doesn't seem to be getting anything is that true?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Cavemek
Constellation
Options
Tablets
More like an update will show up within a given quarter.
Q1: Jan 1st - March 31st
Q2: April 1st - June 30th
Q3: July 1st - September 30th
Q4: October 1st - December 31st

View solution in context

11 Replies
GaryB82
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets
You should get a update around March since you said you got a update in Nov. Tablets run on a 3 Month update sch.

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like the post.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and āœ“ to Accept as Solution button.
AMC2
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

That statement is incorrect according to the Samsung mobile site https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb the Galaxy Tab S9 series should be getting quarterly updates

Current Models for Quarterly Security Updates3

• Galaxy Z Flip, Galaxy Z Flip 5G, Galaxy Z Fold2
  • Galaxy A22e 5G, Galaxy A32, Galaxy A32 5G
  • Galaxy A13, Galaxy A13 5G, Galaxy A23, Galaxy A23 5G, Galaxy A33 5G, Galaxy A73 5G
  • Galaxy A04, Galaxy A04s, Galaxy A04e, Galaxy A14, Galaxy A14 5G, Galaxy A24, Galaxy A34 5G
  • Galaxy A05, Galaxy A05s, Galaxy A15, Galaxy A15 5G, Galaxy A25 5G
  • Galaxy M13, Galaxy M13 5G, Galaxy M23 5G, Galaxy M33 5G, Galaxy M53 5G, Galaxy M04, Galaxy M14 5G, Galaxy M34 5G, Galaxy M44 5G, Galaxy M54 5G
  • Galaxy F13, Galaxy F04, Galaxy F14 5G, Galaxy F34 5G, Galaxy F54 5G
  • Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, Galaxy Tab S7, Galaxy Tab S8, Galaxy Tab S8+, Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra, Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra, Galaxy Tab S9 Plus, Galaxy Tab S9, Galaxy Tab S9 FE, Galaxy Tab S9 FE+
  • Galaxy Tab Active3, Galaxy Tab Active4 Pro, Galaxy Tab Active5, Galaxy Tab A9, Galaxy Tab A9+
  • Enterprise Models: Galaxy Xcover Pro
KiwiBird97
Red Giant
Options
Tablets
Quarterly does equal three months, you know.
Cuchulainn
Comet
Options
Tablets
It does, but it does not mean an every 3-month update schedule. It means an update falling into each quarterly period of three (3) consecutive months ending on March 31, June 30, September 30, and December 31. A March update is still within the first quarter and not late.

FWIW, I think that the updates should be monthly.
0 Likes
KiwiBird97
Red Giant
Options
Tablets
There are no new updates available. You are already on the latest version as of now. One UI 6.1 is expected later this month for the Tab S9.

Given that the 2022 and older flagships will not be getting Galaxy AI features, One UI 6.1 may be the 2nd to last One UI update, cutting support for One UI updates by one year, down to three years (instead of four).
(Remember, should any unexpected situation make it difficult to support older devices with the latest features, Samsung may have to end One UI update support earlier than expected. By not making Galaxy AI features on devices that are at least two years old, it seems like it is expediting the process to end feature update support earlier than expected.)Screenshot_20240314_004040_CheckFirm_1000023142_1710402040.png
0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Curious as to what you base this speculation on as this would apply to phones as well.  Being that AI is likely moving to a pay subscription feature, it is inevitable that there will be at least two baselines, one with and one without. 

In today's scalable, modular and loosely coupled software development environments it's difficult to believe that this would be an issue. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
KiwiBird97
Red Giant
Options
Tablets
But what if there are significant performance issues? This has happened with the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2 around 2010-2011. Although they did get iOS 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2, they did not get 4.3. That makes those devices get updates for only nine months within the 4.x era.

If we follow a similar pattern, should such an issue occur to older Galaxy devices, Samsung may have to end feature update support (NOT security update support) earlier than expected. In fact, when we tried changing the settings for Full Screen Apps and Landscape View for Portrait Apps, the menu force closed when many apps were installed. Do you see what I mean?

"This would apply to phones as well..."
The Galaxy Tab S8 is based on the Galaxy S22 series of devices, though only the latter is entitled to monthly updates.
VAHDYX
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

So if I'm hearing everyone correctly, it should be available by the end of March if they're on time and not abandoning the Tab S9. My tablet is set for every three months (quarterly). I'm assuming it works like this; November released a patch, and month 1 development begins December, so Dec-January is the first month, then January-February month two, then February to March month 3, so I should see it by the end of this month... this seems weird, but it's the only way I can make March seem like the deadline. November isn't counted since it's the previous quarter. 

Thanks for the help everyone. 

Solution
Cavemek
Constellation
Options
Tablets
More like an update will show up within a given quarter.
Q1: Jan 1st - March 31st
Q2: April 1st - June 30th
Q3: July 1st - September 30th
Q4: October 1st - December 31st