Did you mean:Ā 

Original topic:

"Adaptive" refresh rate not so much

(Topic created: 10-26-2021 09:18 PM)
usereVKlXDm6M4
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
This isn't an issue that I have experienced only in the beta, it's been like this since I got my s21u in January. My adaptive refresh rate has never gone below 48hz. Even while I'm on the AoD, it is stuck at 60(it might have been 120, it's been a while since I've checked AoD fps). Why wouldn't it drop to 10hz while I'm sitting idle on the home screen, or when I'm looking at a picture in my native gallery app? 
Another issue with adaptive refresh rate, is it doesn't work when my brightness is lower than about 20%. I would like it to work as intended at minimum brightness, as I like to watch videos on my phone before I go to sleep. 
The extra dim mode is nice though, I am able to keep my brightness around 20%, then toggle extra dim mode(with max intensity) on, and I retain the adaptive refresh rate. It would be great if when oneui 4.0 releases, these problems are resolved.
A huge selling point for this phone was the refresh rate was capable of dropping all the way to 10hz, a bit misleading. Nonetheless, beta is going smooth šŸ‘Œ
7 Replies
MochaVex
Supernova
Options
Discussions
I've attempted manual adjustments.. 48Hz is as low as the software allows this panel to go.
0 Likes
usereVKlXDm6M4
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
Doesn't this seem like a huge lie then ? Samsung made the "low as 10hz" a big deal in the keynote back in January........ I don't know why more people haven't brought this up, it would improve the battery life quite a bit if they could dial it in right. Apples implementation of adaptive refresh rate is incredibly impressive, definitely a big factor to why the 13p/13PM has outrageous battery life.
MochaVex
Supernova
Options
Discussions
I didn't know they stressed 10Hz on their keynote.. That's blatantly lying at that point
mn007
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions
The reason you don't see it go below 48hz is because it does it at the panel level, not software. There have been tests that show lower power draw for certain content than if it was running at what the software was claiming. Android really doesn't have good VRR support just yet so thats how it's implemented for now.
0 Likes
usereVKlXDm6M4
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
Ahh okay, I haven't discovered any of those tests. It's just so strange that samsung doesn't update the show refresh rate toggle..... ive seen many people say they are not getting below 48hz, but I guess if the counter doesn't show it, that's why šŸ¤·ā€:male_sign:.
By chance do u have a link to the test of the refresh rate?
0 Likes
USBetaModerator
Beta Moderator
Options
Discussions

Hello @usereVKlXDm6M4,

"Show refresh rate" option in developer options doesn't show less than 48Hz. We do agree it has to be updated to show correct as current implementation is defaulted to googles implementation.   

Please update Samsung members app to latest version from galaxy store and send us an error report immediately after experiencing the issue from the Samsung memberā€™s app -> Beta Feedback -> Error Reports to help us debug the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your contribution to the beta program.

Regards
One UI Beta Team

0 Likes
usereVKlXDm6M4
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
I really hope that the adaptive refresh rate gets dialed in post beta. My refresh rate doesn't even drop to 48 when I'm in my gallery, or sitting idle on my home screen...... I haven't complained about this until now. I was expecting this issue would have been fixed months ago.
I did send the error report though, thanks (:Screenshot_20211029-014452_One UI Home_7101.jpg
0 Likes