Original topic:

Galaxy S7 broken screen/black screen

(Topic created: 05-30-2021 02:11 PM)
userjm0lOUVFqs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I accidentally stepped on my phone and destroyed the screen.  It doesn't illuminate at all.  It is still powered on and I still hear notifications.  I was able to retrieve my photos by connecting it to my PC so the problem is just with the screen. 

I am going to get a new S7 but I want to know - is there a way to transfer everything on this phone seamlessly so that the same apps appear on the new phone with the same data etc?  Also want to get my text message history and all that other stuff too.  I haven't done an account back-up in over a year so it won't be as simple as using a recent back-up on the new phone.

Thanks!

0 Likes
5 Replies
Andytheman
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
NEC should help. hold the phones back to back for a transfer of contacts and photos. May not work for you though. You usually need NEC
0 Likes
ToyYodaGuy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Use Samsung Smart Switch and the data cable to transfer to new device. As long as you had a Samsung account set up from before--it should still be regularly auto backing up your data from phone without you going in. I don't think your info is totally lost until you wipe or reset your phone and it asks you to re-verify your intentions before allowing it.
0 Likes
userjm0lOUVFqs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I tried smart switch and it's messed everything up.  Before trying smart switch I was able to access all the files on the phone through a USB cable connected to my computer because I had previously authorized this computer to access the data.  I installed smart switch, connected my phone and now I cannot see any of the data anymore.  I assume it's because smart switch prompted some sort of permission on the phone itself, and since the screen is black and the digitizer doesn't work there is no way to authorize it.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
ITzCHAMPz
Halo
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Is there any way you can connect your phone to samsung dex on your PC then display the phone screen? Then use Samsung Smart Switch and enable prompts from the PC mirrored display?
0 Likes
userjm0lOUVFqs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So Samsung really.  I typed out a long message here , hit reply and it disappeared because I wasn't logged in. Seriously, fix that.  Any other forum will save the message, ask you to login then post it.  Or they won't let you post anything before logging in.

Anyways, I was able to do a screen mirror following the instructions in this video and connected a mouse to use the phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJcR_Iosm4

I forced a backup through samsung and google and also turned on debugging.  Once I get the new phone I'll do a restore and see what happens.  If there's still stuff missing I will try out Dex but I don't have a lot of faith since the last time I used samsung software it locked me out of accessing the phone through my PC which I could access before installing smart switch.

0 Likes