cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

S20 Ultra Choppy Video - All users, not only me

S20 Ultra user here.  I have bought this phone because it was supposed to be the best camera video ever made (8K, 4K HRD10+ , 60 FPS.. bla bla bla).

Result, non of the video camera recording mode is able to sustain a constant FPS in any mode.  Look at every Youtube video and  yours, you will get choppy videos.  At 30fps 4K, at 60FPS 4K, HEVC or not, HDR or no, stabilization or not, auto-focus or not, 8K 24fps or not.  It's a real joke.

I spent about 20 hours of my time and tons of money to try to get this to work.  The problem is frame rate is not constant (look at the metedata for the 29.97fps expected at 4K, it's about 27 or 28 fps (with dropping/skipping frames, at 8K, it's around 23 fps, instead of 23.98fps expected.   Players (even the phone one) are expecting to decode at these framerate and not variable with missing frames.

I have bought the Osmo Mobile 3 and disable everything (stabilization) and downloaded every 3rd party apps to get this to work, nothing will do.  The problem is really in the camera hardware or in the drivers really not optimized.  

I got the latest firmware.  It's the same exact thing.   I had the S7, S9 and they were choppy, but this one is the reason why I will do anything to sell it and grab an iPhone 11 MAx pro.   The last thing I want is to move to Apple, but the camera features is the reason whey we don't carry a DSLR anymore.  Just compare the two, it's day and night.   You cannot bring a product like that at this price to the market.  It's an insult to the customer that earn hard their money.  

I cannot got with this on trip in the foreign country and shoot.  The only thing I'll see if laggy videos.  Very sad and very desapointed. 

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: S20 Ultra Choppy Video - All users, not only me

I have the unlock version my video is perfect.

Highlighted
Asteroid

It has nothing to do with "unlock" or not, it has to do with the fact the the phone is not keeping constant 30fps in any mode at 4K, not even at 1080p.  Please upload one of you video at 4K HDR10+ 30fps or 60fps pn Youtube and share the link?  

EVERY video from a SAMSUNG S20, and look on Youtube, are choppy and skipping frame.  How can you come across this thread? Are you working for Samsung?  Because there is no way you find this page if you have not search for "choppy" video on the S20. 

I wish it will only be me, but I havent found ONE video that is fluid so far anywhere recorded with this phone.  Prove me wrong!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Sometimes a wonky SD card affect video.   Are you writing to a card or internal memory?    I know as soon as I saw that this thing did 8k I knew I didn't want to mess with SD cards and got the max internal memory. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Internal.  Nothing wrong with mine. My GF one too, same problem.  As I said, look at all youtube video sample.. none are fluid., all are choppy.. so prove me wrong

Highlighted
Asteroid

Internal. Come on, I spent 20 hours messing around.  It's the same for evey users,   not just me, that is the real concern.  It's closed to a law suit if you want my advised.  This can't be left like this.  Snapdragon CPU are faster than exinos, so what is the reason we are getting drops in video clips?  

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Something must be wrong with your

Highlighted
Asteroid

Nope, look up all Youtube videos, they are all choppy.. paste one that is fluid and shot on fhe S20...

Highlighted
Asteroid

This is not my video, you can find 100s of them on Youtube. Look for youself how the cars/buses are laggy and choppy.  This is doing this on EVERY S20 smartphones, not only mine.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8OMyefp7aA 

If you copy a video from your phone to your computer, right click on the file and go to details, you will see that the "sample rate" is not standard and always under what is expected : example, if I shoot at 4K 30fps, it should say 29.97 fps.  But your files will show 27 or 28 fps and this is due to the phone not being able to record all frames( 30 frames per second).  You can put the clips in Adobe Premier and you will see that that there is missing frames  (change the timeline from "time" to "frame").   

Again, prove me that I am wrong. There is NO clip from a S20, on Youtube, Vimeo or anywhere that has not missing frames in it.  This is totally a failure from Samsung and they will have to admit it and reimburse people.  

Highlighted
Constellation

I am so glad I found this topic as I thought I was doing something wrong.
I have tried 30fps 60fps but with the slight camera movement, video becomes choppy.
Honestly, it hurts my eyes. I am waiting for some urgent updates as at this stage, videos are un-usable