Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rsnic
Halo

Samsung's Contacts Won't Sync with Google Contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

I have a Samsung S8, running Oreo.  Up until a few days ago, the contacts on my phone would sync with my Google account.

After noticing that was no longer the case, I discovered that Google has broken contact out of GMail into a separate App called Contacts.  I suspect that is why my phone's contacts will not sync with my Google information.

My question is how do get my phone to sync with this separate Google Contact App?  What changes must I make to items phone contact sysnc's with?

Very much appreciate assistance As I use Google information at the "intermediary" between my phone and my PC

Thanks 

Al
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rsnic
Halo

Re: Samsung's Contacts Won't Sync with Google Contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungAdam,

Appreciate the checklist, but have been using Google as an "intermediary" between my desktop and phone for quite some time.

As you probably know, Google took contacts out of GMail and have made it a separate App; when I wrote my post it was a day after that had occured and apparently mappings and the like still had to be ironed out.

Since then everthing is back to working very well

Thank you

Al
35 REPLIES 35
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Most Android devices, automatically sync your contacts when you first turn on your phone and sign into your Google Account. Make sure to add your Google Account to your Android device. You should now see your contacts from your phone in your Google contacts. If you do not see them, then check to be sure you have it set to sync your Contacts to your Gmail account and not your phone. Let us know if this helps. 

Check List:

1. Make sure that you have Gmail installed on your device.
  2. Go to Settings, then go to Accounts and Sync.
  3. Enable the Accounts and syncing service.
  4. Select your Gmail account from the email accounts set up.
  5. Make sure that you’ve enabled the Sync Contacts option.
  6. Press Sync now button and wait until all the phone contacts have been successfully synchronized with your Gmail account.
  7. Now open Gmail in your web browser and click the Gmail text link that is listed on the upper left side of the Gmail profile.
  8. Select Contacts. You should see a page listing the contacts from your Android smartphone.
Rsnic
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungAdam,

Appreciate the checklist, but have been using Google as an "intermediary" between my desktop and phone for quite some time.

As you probably know, Google took contacts out of GMail and have made it a separate App; when I wrote my post it was a day after that had occured and apparently mappings and the like still had to be ironed out.

Since then everthing is back to working very well

Thank you

Al
Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for sharing Smiley Happy

userp1TxYIR0mZ
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Exactly the same thing happened to me, been using contacts for ages, suddeny doesn't sync, except mine is still not syncing. I have Galaxy S7 Edge. Any suggestions?

userKjt719qnAQ
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just got my first Samsung phone, an S9, and I'm having the same problem. Before switching phones, I specifically made sure all of the contacts on my previous phone were in my Google contacts, so I know the missing numbers should be there. 

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userKjt719qnAQ: Have you tried removing the Google account and re-adding it? 

userwfmZMR2HaQ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I wanted to sign off of my Google account on my S7 but got scared when warned I would lose all my data if I removed my Google account. 

Contacts won't sync completely causing headaches. Maybe by design to force an upgrade????

transistor
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

the contacts create in your gmail contacts on the computer sync with your phone (do a manual sync on the samsung, and refresh page on the computer), and those create on phone contacts don't sync with gmail contacts

-download contacts google from google play

-from there find in the settings, you will have the lists of contacts not sync with your google contacts on your gmail account

DON'T SYNC THEM YET

-open each contacts not sync and enter manually on your computer, each one in contacts, in your gmail account

-sync the list not sync

-sync your google account in your phone (settings\accounts\google accounnt\sync, switches at on for contacts)

-confirm on the phone contacts and your gmail account on the computer are sync

-in samsung contacts in your samsung set  sync with your google account

-you can now uninstall or keep google contacts

the contacts you will create in phone will now sync, if you choose to sync samsung contacts with google account

please tell us if it works or not

uservEIhTkm5Ki
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for these instructions but I still have to try it. 

Neither of my Samsung or Google contacts are accurate. 

My most accurate & treasured list comes from my simple Contacts App that was preinstalled on my J7 V phone.

What is feeding the Google contacts and the Samsung contacts. Where do they sync from. Help.