cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usersBPSMNmt8h
Constellation

My Galaxy S9+ Won't Charge when Wired, but Charges Wirelessly.

I bought a Galaxy S9+ back in November. A month later I bought a Samsung brand wireless charger and have been mostly using the wireless charger to charge the phone. There were a few times when I was away where I had to use the wired charger, but the battery life of the phone is pretty good, so I don't usually have to charge it until I get home, where the pad charger is. Anyway, a few days ago, it was one of those days where I had to use my wired charger. I plugged it in, the phone responded and charged for about 1% (from 37% to 38%), then didn't work. No matter what I did, it wouldn't respond to me plugging the charger into it.

At first I thought the wall socket was bad or the charger/cable was bad, but my friend has a Galaxy S8, and my charger was able to charge his phone perfectly normal. When I finally got home, I did some more testing. It charges wirelessly just fine. I then googled the issue and ran through some troubleshooting. The phone slow charges when I plug the USB cable into my computer, but the computer does not recognize the phone. (I can't transfer images, the phone doesn't show up in File Explorer, etc.) I tried wiping the cache partition, it did nothing. I thought it may have been an issue with an app I downloaded so I booted it to safe mode, and it still wouldn't charge. I'm not about to factory reset the phone just because of a wired charger issue, so I'm here. Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Also, the phone sometimes responds to the wired charger, but it gets very buggy. For example, sometimes it will repeatedly flash the screen on (I lock the screen and it comes right back on) and sometimes it will continually flash "Android System: USB connector disconnected/connected" in the notification panel, but it won't charge. I don't often use the wired charger so I'm thinking dust could have been an issue. I tried blowing the port out with some electronics duster but I haven't done any extensive cleaning of it. I am hoping it isn't a hardware issue because I don't have insurance on the phone and I don't know anything about a warranty, and I really don't want to have to deal with all that right now. The reason why I chose Samsung is because they have always been the most reliable in the past in my opinion, but now I am having my doubts with this new phone. Also, on a side note, the durability of these things is not nearly as much as it should be considering how expensive they are, but thats a statement for another forum. Any ideas/help appreciated.

EDIT: It does charge when connected to my PC, but very slowly. I'm at 90% and it's saying 27 m until fully charged. I'm not sure if this is normal, but it seems to me like it can't be a hardware issue if it is charging on my PC but not with the regular charger. On an even weirder note, if I leave the USB-C plugged into my phone, unplug the USB from the wall charger, then pull the wall charger out of the wall, and plug the USB into the unplugged wall charger, my phone lights up like it recognized something.

6 REPLIES 6
DEATHSPALEHORSE
Constellation

Look inside your charging port on the phone. Sometimes it...

Look inside your charging port on the phone. Sometimes items get lodged in there that interfere with the connection. You can try folding an index card to fit in there to try to scrape some stuff out if you can, but anything stiffer may damage the contacts. Hope this helps.

usersBPSMNmt8h
Constellation

Re: Look inside your charging port on the phone. Sometimes it...

Thanks for the idea, I took a small piece of paper and folded it and cut it so it was like a tiny spoon I could use to scoop out some of the dust. I removed most of the dust I could get, then tried vacuuming out the port, but still nothing happening when I plug it in.

EDIT: Do you think an air compressor or even a little bit of water would be too much/could cause damage? These phones are supposed to be super water resistant so I was gonna try maybe putting a couple drops of water in the port and then scraping around with the paper, then blowing it out gently to get the water out.

userUxUFFFvtMJ
Constellation

Re: My Galaxy S9+ Won't Charge when Wired, but Charges Wirelessly.

I'm having similar issues wit my S9.  really frustrating since I only have one wireless charger.  Hopefully someone can provide some help.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@userUxUFFFvtMJ Do you experience these symptoms if you test your device in safe mode? Have you tried another charger with your device? Are you using the original charger that came with your device?

userUxUFFFvtMJ
Constellation

Yes to all of the above. @SamsungAdam 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for that information. Can I please have your full model number and IMEI in a private message: http://bit.ly/2JH2rq2