Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JP11
Cosmic Ray

Connecting Apple TV To HW-Q80R Soundbar

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I’ve just installed an Apple TV 4K. My previous ATV was connected to my tv but since this one has 4K and ATMOS capability I was instructed to connect it to my soundbar which is connected to my tv by the ARC HDMI ports. I connected the ATV to HDMI 1 on the soundbar but when selecting that by the source button I did not get any of the ATV display on my tv. To continue my set up of the ATV i connected it to the tv directly. Can someone give me the steps to get the display of the ATV to appear on my tv through the soundbar? I believe that should be possible. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Connecting Apple TV To HW-Q80R Soundbar

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Connect the Apple TV to the soundbar, if you use HDMI 1, change the soundbar source to HDMI 1. Connect the soundbar to the ARC port on the television if there are other devices connected to the television, otherwise, use a different HDMI port. Navigate the source on the television to the input that the soundbar is connected to. 

11 REPLIES 11
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Connect the Apple TV to the soundbar, if you use HDMI 1, change the soundbar source to HDMI 1. Connect the soundbar to the ARC port on the television if there are other devices connected to the television, otherwise, use a different HDMI port. Navigate the source on the television to the input that the soundbar is connected to. 

JP11
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the quick reply. Let me make sure I understand. Currently my soundbar is connected to the HDMI ARC port on the tv. I thought that was the proper way. I do have a Fios dvr connected to one of the other HDMI inputs on the tv but there is still another HDMI port available besides the ARC one, so should I still use the ARC port for the soundbar or use the regular one? I can select the ARC port on the tv for the input. If I do it that way, it would be ATV - HDMI 1 on soundbar - HDMI cable from soundbar to ARC on the tv. That should still get me the power off function on the soundbar when I turn off the tv. Then I’d Select input HDMI 1 on the soundbar and then select the ARC HDMI input on the tv. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you have the DVR connected to the television, connect the soundbar to ARC. The rest of the set up is correct, are you still getting no video from the ATV to the TV? Just for testing purposes, connect the DVR to the soundbar and see if it works on the same port. 

JP11
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When I first set this up I had the ATV connected to HDMI 1 on the sound bar but I never navigated to the ARC HDMI input on the tv. I’m guessing that’s why I didn’t see anything on screen other than the tv channel since I was still on the Fios input. 

Now if I keep the ARC to ARC connections from bar to tv, select HDMI 1 on the bar and select the ARC input on the tv all this should work?  Is there any issue doing it this way?  

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That is the correct way to set it up. Please keep us posted. 

JP11
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the help! I’ll get this set up in the morning and post back. I assume that the ARC to ARC connection between tv and soundbar enables the best audio. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are very welcome! The HDMI connection will provide the best quality between the two devices. The devices connected directly to the soundbar will provide the best sound overall. 

JP11
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for all the help! Got it all working. ATV to HDMI 1 on soundbar, ARC to ARC from the bar to the tv. Selecting that HDMI ARC input on the tv gets me the picture from the ATV. I even saw the ATMOS display pop up on the bar’s screen when I watched my purchase of Aquaman from iTunes. 

One final question and I’ll be quiet 🤐  (for a while). If the tv did not have an ARC input or you chose to connect the bar to one of the other HDMI inputs what would the effect be? I ask because you mentioned above to connect the bar to the ARC input on the tv if I had another device connected to the tv, otherwise use another HDMI input. That confused me a bit. But everything is working really well, so thanks again!

userKQgSTVN8Kp
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am also having issues with my apple tv to the soundbar. I have the Q80R TV and the HW-Q80R soundbar. I have both my playstation 4(HDMI 1) and Apple TV 4k (HDMI 2) hooked up to the soundbar, and then the ARC from soundbar to ARC on the TV. Everything works  great except 1 thing. I cannot change sources to my Apple TV using the tv universal remote. I click- HOME- SOURCE- home theater- Anynet+- Apple TV. After clikcing all that, it still just sits on my current source which is HDMI 2 on my soundbar (PS4). It wont change the soundbar setting to HDMI 1 (Apple TV) The only way for my to change my sources now, seems to be using the soundbar remote and click the source button until HDMI 1 pops up. Is there a solution to this, or does there need to be a firmware update for my samsung tv remote to control my samsung soundbar source for apple tv? Changing from apple tv to Playstation 4 works great, also turning off the tv with my remote shuts off playstation, tv , and soundbar, but does nothing to the apple tv, unless I have the universal remote set up to control my apple tv and i have to be in that setting at that time. but even having the samsung remote control the apple tv, it still refuses to let me change sources when im on my playstation, unless i use the soundbar source button. Thanks