Original topic:

Odyssey G9 Firmware update

(Topic created: 10-17-2023 03:16 PM)
DoctorYueh
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I know this has been brought up multiple times but I cannot find a solution.  I just purchased an Odyssey G9 49 inch monitor.  The firmware is 1016.  I found on the Samsung site that the latest version is 1023.7.  I downloaded the firmware update and followed the instructions to the letter but the monitor will not find the update on the USB.  The downloaded file is named 'update.msd' file but everything I have read says that the monitor is expecting a '.img' file.  What is the trick to getting this thing updated and why is it so difficult?

16 Replies
DoctorYueh
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Update - I have been doing more research and it looks like Samsung may have uploaded the wrong firmware file.  I have seen several posts saying that the 'update.msd' file is for the OLED version of the monitor.  The non-OLED version still needs the 'M-T9549GGAA-XXX.X.img' file for firmware updates.  Does Samsung monitor these posts?  Will someone from Samsung check on this and provide the correct firmware update?

userSElCvDJnFW
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same with the FAKER 32" G7, firmware file has been incorrect for about 2 years.

Lvl 2 support just sent me a link to the download page, again, with no change to the incorrect file.

It seems they don't know, or care to check if their firmware files are correctly named.

0 Likes
CoryG85
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Are you kidding me?! How ridiculous....I just bought this monitor and have been trying to update the firmware all morning, and people have been having trouble updating the firmware on this monitor since it came out in 2020...and now they upload the wrong firmware to the site...unbelievable. 

Soldarious
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

CoryG85,

I have the same issue, I reached out to support today and they created a new case for me for their tier 2 level support and said they would reach back out in 1-2 days... 

The 1016 1019 version broke my monitor functions and its upsetting.  

I saw the same thing with Acer support where links are broken and incorrect and it takes them weeks to resolve...

CoryG85
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Well that's disappointing. I bought this thing on Amazon Prime a couple days ago and if this isn't resolved in a few days I'll just send it back and get something else. My other Samsung monitor, the G8 OLED, has wifi connectivity so this firmware thing isn't a problem on it. 

userjUWN2lOz7l
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

@Soldarious can you please expand on the sentiment that 1019 broke your functions?  What is the issue you're having with 1019 at the moment?  Also, where can we get version 1019 since the support page posted the incorrect file?

Soldarious
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

@userjUWN2lOz7l 

After I upgraded I am having issues with DisplayPort when monitor goes to standby or switches output it never comes back.  I have to go into the laptop and fiddle around with it, sometimes reinstalling driver for GPU works.  When it works its perfect, all features and resolution, refresh rate etc, but then the same issue repeats.

I have updated all drivers and noticed that the 1019 version already had reported issues where the model and serial number no longer shown in information screen and HDR is off.  

So I waited till new firmware version was out, however the link is all junk and support is completely useless and does not understand this at all.

I have wasted about 2 hours with them and they are less then helpful.

I have 1019 version, I can share but it does have issues so not sure if that's a good idea anyway.

userjUWN2lOz7l
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Is there any historical cache where we can grab the older versions?

Soldarious
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am not sure if I can share links but here is the 1019 version:

1019 version has issues, use only if you must.  Samsung gotta get their act together.

Reddit link on the issues: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/15krrdn/g9_odyssey_firmware_1019/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1njPvhJJMxJ39TrAs9gq33vvy6oh8wKDg/view?usp=share_link