JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why is Evo 860 "Wear Leveling Count" increasing and not decreasing ?

(Topic created: 11-18-2019 01:49 PM)
Brcobrem
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,

I record the SMART Attribute data of some critical drives periodically. I've noticed that on a new 860 EVO 250GB (Model MZ-76E250) put in service early in 2018 the Weart leveling Count (attribute# 177) has been going up from 0 to 12 today. It was 0 at first, then went to 2 several months later, then to 10 months later, and today I see it's 12. Thewear leveling attrubute of most manufaturers is stated as a percentage of 100 (with 100 being a new SSD). For example, a 92 would mean it's 8% used/depleted. For some reason, did Samsung reverse this and the 12 I'm seeing is really 88 (ie. 100 - 12 = 88).

Thanks for your help.

Regards . . .

P.S. Just an fyi for Samsung: It took me 15 minutes just to find the SSD discussions were in "Monitors and Memory".  I know SSDs have memory inside them, but every other IT person I know considers Memory to mean memory sticks, and SSDs to be storage devices. I've never thought of monitors and memory as being in the same component or peripheral class. HTH.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

For all solid-state drive questions, please either email support@totalts.com or call 1-800-SAMSUNG and choose option 7 for SSD support. The SSD support team is available M-F 9 AM - 9 PM. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 Replies
Brcobrem
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,

May I ask if this forum just for non-technical retial how-to's? If yes this is mainly retail, can someone direct me to your SSD forum that can handle more technical querries?

The SSD in question is still under warranty. That means I could have just opened a private support case to get this answer. However I thought this info would be valuable to the community in general, as Samsung appears to using a non-standard enumeration for Attribute #177 on this SSD.

I apprecate any direction on this thread.

Regards . . .

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

For all solid-state drive questions, please either email support@totalts.com or call 1-800-SAMSUNG and choose option 7 for SSD support. The SSD support team is available M-F 9 AM - 9 PM. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
Brcobrem
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thank you for your assistance : )

Regards . . .

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

You are most welcome.

0 Likes