Original topic:

How can I get my photos to stop sharing with Google photos?

(Topic created: 02-18-2024 03:22 PM)
Kris0607
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Any tips on getting my Samsung camera app to stop sharing photos with Google photos? Google photos has a bug and despite turning off the "backup and sync" function, it still continues to pull from my device photo library and to save every photo I take on Google photos. This has to be illegal. What's more, is that when a file is deleted on Google photos, it deletes that photo from the device with absolutely no other option. Google photos does not have my permission to pull photos from my device but continues to do so. The toggle button to turn the feature off simply does not work.

3 Replies
realaud
Red Giant
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Only thing i can think of would be to turn off permissions for the photos app to access your photos. You can also sign your phone out of your Google account--but then you'd have to manually sign in when using any Google service, including app updates.

Did you specifically remove photos from sync?

Also, when you delete from Google photos, it does, indeed, delete from other devices; but it send then to trash and you can restore them. They stay in trash for 60 days, but it looks like I have some in there for longer than that.
0 Likes
Kris0607
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Oh my gosh - I'm mad I didn't think of the permissions. Thank you so much. I turned that off and will test it for a couple of days. I did restore photos once to the device after deleting from the app and discovering that they also deleted from the device, but that was quite a pain and I lost my album designations, etc.
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I'm hopeful that will solve the problem.
0 Likes
realaud
Red Giant
Options
Other Mobile Devices
As i said, if that doesnt work, go to accounts and backup. go to the google drive section and then select photos and videos and slide off the sync. That should effectively stop the photos from syncing. If you still want to auto back up your photos and you have one drive, you can go to the gallery app, access the settings and activate the slider to sync with one drive. You can delete photos from one drive without it deleting from your other devices