Original topic:

Updates without wi-fi?

(Topic created: 11-05-2021 07:53 AM)
BigBill650
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Okay, here is my problem and evidently it is a big one. I have the a71 5G. I keep getting notices that an update is ready, however I have no Wi-fi where I am at. I am not mobile, I am confined to a wheelchair now live in a rest home in a very rural part of Texas. The nursing home used to have Wi-Fi but the owners cut it out and do not have any indication of getting it renewed. So I am stuck with no Wi-Fi, only data. The update will not download unless I have Wi-Fi. That is just flat not going to happen. Hello Samsung! Is there any possible way to allow it to download over data instead of Wi-Fi? I am getting real tired I'm getting these constant reminders that a download is available yet it won't do anything about it. Help!

4 Replies
BigBill650
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Still getting the message that the update is available but only if you have Wi-Fi. Samsung has not responded to my initial question. I tried calling Samsung a while ago, the woman I was connected to was almost impossible to hear because it sounded like she was in a box with a loud buzz behind her. I am still receiving notifications about the update and it has been over a month. I can't turn the notifications off, and it makes me feel like I'll never be able to upgrade my phone. I understand it is a security update and they want to use the Wi-Fi so if there's any discrepancy in the file that will correct itself. Well, that's kind of the reason why the woman I was talking to was explaining it if I heard her correctly. If anyone out there has any input on this problem, I would appreciate it if you would let me know. Thank you and have a great day.
0 Likes
CommunityUser021
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
settings

uncheck auto download over wifi

then download. it'll ask if you want to use mobile data. say yesScreenshot_20211107-164702_Settings.jpg
0 Likes
BigBill650
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Nope. Still tells me I gotta have wifi. Thanks though.
0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hi Bill,  Unfortunately due to size of the file the update can't be performed over mobile data.  The only other suggestion that we could make would be to potentially ask to use someone's hot spot on their phone and update the phone that way.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes