JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Emojis

(Topic created: 11-18-2020 06:47 PM)
Gypsy3
Astronaut
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
I have a Samsung A6 and a Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge. Neither device has black or brown emojis. They only have the yellow emojis. It's 2020, we shouldn't have to install any apps to use emojis of color. If Apple has black emojis, Samsung can too. I have waited the past several upgrades thinking they would be installed, but they weren't.
6 Replies
Solution
Giant2O2O
Galaxy
Options
It's because you don't have the latest OS. You can get around that by installing Gboard on either. Google implemented skin tones in emojis years ago but because samsung keyboard is locked to the system version, it is only as good as the system updates they give it. Because both devices youre using are old or low budget, it is no surprise that you don't have them by default. Android 10, Galaxy S10 example - 🧑🏾🧒🏾👩🏾‍🦱 But as for regular emojis (smiley, laugh, wink) the skin tones do not apply because the emojis do not represent you as a person but rather your emotion in the moment.

View solution in context

Gypsy3
Astronaut
Options
Thank you for your response. It seems both posts fell upon deaf ears (from Samsung), so thank you for the information. You would think they would update all around, but oh well. I truly appreciate your reply.
0 Likes
Giant2O2O
Galaxy
Options
For sure! It took 1.5 months for samsung to answer my error report in the first place so I know exactly what it feels like. lol Although, I am not very sure why the emojis with skin tones exist if not for personal expression... Seems kind of pointless of emoji means "emotional icon", and an emotion is not resemblant of your face color. lol but that's just me. Also, to clarify about the keyboard... Samsung Keyboard is a system-level app, meaning it is only updated as the system itself is updated. Your social media apps are not system apps, which means they can be updated through the play store independent of your system. What makes Gboard unique is it allows the user to make it look and function like they want and give you the latest emojis regardless of what system you have; that's why I recommend it. If you used any other keyboard, you wouldn't experience the same freedom.
Kendrah77
Astronaut
Options
That's for your response. As to the importance of diversity for emojis, it is not as simple as it seems. I think that if the emojis defaulted to darker hued people, there would be similar discussions. Why was a fair complexion the default to illustrate the human form?
0 Likes
Giant2O2O
Galaxy
Options
Outside of ethical standards, I can only imagine it was engineered towards the largest audience of users (because that's who is using the product and providing feedback). Also, they used to have each skin tone indivual with the emoji but in recent years combined them under one icon for easy organization. Needless to say, after choosing your skin tone it stays defaulted to that forever unless you clear the keyboard data or factory reset. I don't believe the "factory appearance" of a lighter skin tone to be the cover at the start a big issue when you can easily change it to your liking. If there was only one tone, they would certainly be called unpleasant names
0 Likes
Gypsy3
Astronaut
Options
I did try the Gboard, but had the same toned emojis? 🤷‍:female_sign:🙄
0 Likes