Original topic:

Smart Switch file sizes on old phone vs. replacement

(Topic created: 04-05-2024 12:08 PM)
Rayzer
Comet
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Samsung Care Plus replaced my z-fold phone. I selected a complete transfer of all items and the space on my replacement phone is now 267 GB versus the 310 GB that was on my old phone. Is there an easy way to find out what wasn't transferred before sending my old phone back to them?

5 Replies
realaud
Supernova
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Im pretty sure cache files are not transferred and that may be the difference in space, especially if you didnt regularly clean your app cache. I went through my apps in the app drawer and found some apps did not transfer and I redownloaded them.
0 Likes
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
If you go to My Files >> Manage Storage >> show more to expand all categories, this might help you compare each category between 2 phones.

For example, if they both show 20GB of videos, it likely means that all videos got transferred
0 Likes
milepalmer132
Constellation
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

You can identify by comparing contents of both phones manually. Start by checking your old phone for any files or apps that may not have transferred over to the replacement device and look for any specific items such as photos, videos, documents, and apps that may be missing.

0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

@Rayzer Smart Switch does not necessarily copy over every file.

• Game files. A lot of game files just aren't transferred because the developers of those games haven't taken advantage of the Smart Switch services for that. 
  • Cache files (as @realaud mentioned.
  • PenUp drafts aren't copied over to the dismay of a lot of people. 

BTW, if Smart Switch fails to copy something over that you have selected due to some issue, Smart Switch will provide a dialog saying that and giving you a chance to review the list of items. 

0 Likes
ARandomS21FE
Astronaut
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Most likely (as everyone has said) your cached data and most app data don't get transferred
0 Likes