JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Screen recorder function stopped working

(Topic created: 09-01-2023 10:03 PM)
skang821
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

My screen recorder function stopped working. When I press the button, it simply takes me to the home screen instead of the usual pop-up that asks whether I give permission to use the camera or microphone.

I've taken it to 3 different Verizon stores. They reset my settings but could not fix the issue. They told me to go to Samsung-authorized Geek Squad at Best Buy and they said they couldn't help me either. Everyone keeps advising me to download a 3rd party app if I want to screen record but I want to figure out what the problem is. Some of them said it must have been a recent update that affected it but my mom bought the same phone as me at the same time and she is able to screen record just fine.

For a split second at the Verizon store today, there was an error message at the bottom of my screen saying that it was already recording. I'm really concerned. Any suggestions/solutions?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thank you for the screenshots! At least that feature is still working! After wiping the cache partition and using the "Repair apps" option, a factory reset is really the only remaing troubleshooting step you can take going forward. If that doesn't resolve this problem, there might be some sort of software corruption on your OS. A Samsung authorized service center, like uBreakiFix or Best Buy's Geeksquad, might be able to reflash the operating system. Then again, the Note 20 is outside of its promised update lifespan, and is extremely vulnerable to hardware and software security threats. It might just be time to upgrade. They would have more info about being able to reflash though, so I would give one of them a call to schedule an appointment. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/ 

View solution in context

10 Replies
skang821
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I took your advice and followed your instructions. However, when I press screen record, the effect is the same. It blinks and takes me back to the homescreen with no pop up to indicate that screen recording will begin.

skang821
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

When I press the "Screen Recorder" icon, the Quick Panel drop down disappears and brings me to my homescreen. I was trying to avoid factory reset. I will take it to one more Verizon store and then do that as a last resort. Thanks for your help!

skang821
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

No, tapping the "Screen recorder" button takes me to my homescreen. Holding the icon, on the other hand, takes me to the detailed page where I can adjust specific things. I made the settings the same as my mom's (whose screen recorder setting still functions).

When I took it to the Verizon store last week, they were confused because the settings are set so that screen recording should work. They tweaked some options to see if changing the video quality or size would remedy the issue but it did not.

Below are screenshots of my current settings, which I did not change after leaving the Verizon store.

photo_2023-09-03_12-37-00.jpgphoto_2023-09-03_12-37-04.jpg

0 Likes
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thank you for the screenshots! At least that feature is still working! After wiping the cache partition and using the "Repair apps" option, a factory reset is really the only remaing troubleshooting step you can take going forward. If that doesn't resolve this problem, there might be some sort of software corruption on your OS. A Samsung authorized service center, like uBreakiFix or Best Buy's Geeksquad, might be able to reflash the operating system. Then again, the Note 20 is outside of its promised update lifespan, and is extremely vulnerable to hardware and software security threats. It might just be time to upgrade. They would have more info about being able to reflash though, so I would give one of them a call to schedule an appointment. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/ 

skang821
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yes, I can take screenshots fine! Hmm I asked at Verizon and Bestbuy if my phone had been hacked and they said that's unlikely. Still seeing that error notice that it couldn't screen record because it was already recording has made me paranoid.

If I go to a Samsung authorized service, should I ask them to reflash the operating system for me because I might have software corruption on my OS? (I feel like I need to prepare a script because I went to one recently and they just looked at me blankly and said they only repair things with physical damage like cracked screens and did not even touch my phone or try to helpful in the slightest. 😑)

VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
You were at Best Buy? Their Geeksquad is probably an authorized service center and has the phone OS ready to flash for you. The only doubts I have are, because the phone is outside its update lifespan, that they will refuse to service the device because of that. They are still your best bet though (either them or uBreakiFix). Just tell them you need the OS reflashed because there is system instability and various features aren't working right. Try not to be specific, just that you need the OS reflashed if it is possible.
skang821
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yes, I went to one that tried for at least 15 minutes and they told me to go to a Samsung authorized one at a different location so I did and that's the one that flat out refused to do anything. 😤

But thankfully, I have one near my place that has been in business for a while so I will do as you prescribe. It's worth a shot. This has been so helpful.

VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I hope you find success at your local service center close by. Please update us here when you can!
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I use screen record often on my Note 20. And I haven't had any issues I did initially install t-mobile firmware both for my phone and my husband phone, for free online, because we purchased the phones directly from Samsung, and it was missing some carrier provided features. I'm only saying this because I don't want you to give up on your phone! I just Janne a couple of questions:
1. Is it different apps or an pages that you're trying to record, it the same source?
2. Do you have a third party photo / video editing app that may be causing a conflict with the default app? If so, try clearing the cache and data files and then uninstalling them for now.
3. Did you move, delete, or create any storage folders in the DCIM folder?
4. Phone providers usually offer a free virus protection app (McAfee, for example). Have you tried downloading the app and running it to see if it finds any conflicts or malicious software?
There are some other troubleshooting things to check, but we'll start with the easier ones first.
Also, authorized repair shops and the phone carrier won't install the firmware. You can do it online (and it's very easy to do), but I strongly believe you're having an issue with a third party app causing a conflict. I had a similiar issue, I think it was when I had my Note 8 a few years back, except it was with the camera. It was very frustrating. The Note 20, however, is a great phone. I've stopped using my laptop altogether since getting this phone. It's actually faster and you can get so much accomplished with it!