Original topic:

Disabling auto updates permanently?

(Topic created: 04-14-2024 01:07 PM)
Members_0gsOcZE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

How do you turn off auto updates permanently!!  My phone updated last on March 1st. It's now averaging almost monthly.  How do I stop this???

12 Replies
niteskyz
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S23
just update ur phone
0 Likes
Members_0gsOcZE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

It's MY phone I paid for I should have the right to decide what's done with it!!!

niteskyz
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S23
why wouldn't you want too
Members_0gsOcZE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

I'd be ok with it if that was all it entailed. But almost every update changes the look of icons how samsung programs operate. It's more then security updates. Off the top of my head editing photos is the gallery app doesn't work as well as it did before the last update. I'm old school. I paid to dollar for this phone it's mine let me decide if I want to update it. 

VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23
Ah I see! Yeah these changes can sometimes take some getting used to. Which aspect of editing photos isn't behaving the same as before? To clarify things a bit, the physical device is most definitely yours, but the user agreements made when setting up devices attribute ownership of the native software/firmware to Samsung/Google. That being said, I believe there are are methods to permanently disable updates via ADB commands, but we do not discuss those here due to the potential to permanently brick devices if an individual makes a mistake. Please be cautious if you decide to investigate that option.
Members_0gsOcZE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

The object eraser specifically. I use it a lot. Now when you draw a line around the object it doesn't keep the same area you select. It changes to what it thinks you want, I guess. So I don't get the results I used to get. It's probably part of this AI that got forced down every samsung phones user as well. I guess samsung has a bunch of geeks on staff that need justification for keeping them on the payroll. 

Members_0gsOcZE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

Ok, I see that now.  Thank you.  But still does nothing to quell my hate for all these updates. As soon as I find a deal on the iPhone I'm done with Samsung.  It's obvious this **bleep** will not stop and Samsung will not give me the option to opt out!! I'm sure to them my business means nothing to them. Even though I buy the new phones every time they come out. So it means nothing to me to spend my money else where!! I dropped AT&T for far less!!

0 Likes
Members_0gsOcZE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

Why not have just security type updates. Then offer updates to apps and other things and let the phone owner decide if they want the updates? 

rmp5s
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

The hardware and software are not independent of each other. If they were, like they should be, we would be able to obtain root access so we can install whatever software we want.

But we can't. We're FORCED to use their software if we want to use the "physical device that is most definitely ours".

0 Likes