Original topic:

Galaxy watch 4 Sleep tracking

(Topic created: 06-21-2022 05:56 AM)
Tseruyah
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
The watch is tracking sleep while I am clearly awake. I can be sitting down watching a movie while reading articles on my phone and the watch will have recorded me as sleeping.  Not only does it have me light sleeping  and in Rem but it even had me in deep sleep.
So my question is how serious should I be taking this whole sleep tracking and health monitoring thing from a watch?
I assume some R&D went into this and there were also some testing, or is this just a gimmick?
Is anyone else experiencing this?
10 Replies
NukeLife
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Yes, this happens sometimes. I have only had this happen to me 2x but I was really still for a good amount of time and i see why it did track my sleep. If it tracks your sleep then go into your samsung health app and delete the the sleep that it recorded, and submit feedback. That way they can't fix the issues in further updates.

After all it's not like your watch has eyes yet to see if your eyes are open or not.
Tseruyah
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
I will do as you suggest. I understand you point about the watch not having eyes but it does bring into question it ability to monitor/track sleep cycles if it cannot differentiate between sitting still and being unconscious.
Sucks because I really wanted it to be the real deal.
NukeLife
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
It has some faults, I have noticed. I have had to adjust my sleeping times even when I am asleep. But the more feedback they get the better they can make it. It hasn't been around long enough to be perfect yet.
mdavidf
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Maybe you were asleep and dreaming that you were watching a movie and reading articles 😉

I stopped using the sleep tracker a long time ago because of this type of issue. I had to constantly go into the app and change times, etc. I think it's a gimmick and, personally, I don't trust it.
Tseruyah
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thanks for your reply, gave me a laugh. I'm also leaning towards discontinuing it's use.
CirclingStars
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Unfortunately sleep data is practically useless for me at this time because we are not allowed to edit sleep or nap start and end times. I find that my Watch 4 will sometimes stop my sleep an hour early compared to my Oura ring or my Fitbit charge 5, so I know I had at least some sleep, but there's no way to correct it so it's useless for me. I understand this used to be a feature, so please Samsung bring it back or else I'm not sure why I'm using your product if I can't get accurate sleep times.
Progmtl
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
While using the watch to track sleep it continually records the beginning of my sleep time 2 to 3 hours after I actually go to bed, however it always gets my wake up time correct. Anyone else with this issue?
user7bT90uvjWX
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have a galaxy watch 4 with a s22 that I am ready to take back to Verizon and switch for something else.  My sleep time is wrong every day.  If I'm sitting reading or watching tv, even in the middle of the day,  it records it as sleep and there is no longer a way to edit sleep time.  I bought the watch to replace an old fitbit, but atleast I could edit sleep time on my fitbit. In searching for a solution to this in forums I have seen this had been a concern for MANY, even in the Canadian and European forums.  Saddest part is that there have been no replies on the Canadian & eu posts,  and the only one on US I've seen was for the user to call tech support and when others said they were also having an issue the mods. Just closed the thread.  Obviously people want accurate sleep data,  otherwise what's the point? Why can't we exit our times anymore? We had it's not perfect, and don't expect it to be.  But what is the point of tracking sleep time and quality it is not going to be accurate? Please put back the ability to edit the times. 

Members_BWQf1dI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

After a year of working mostly fine, last night my GW4 watch failed to record any sleep data. I'm an intermittent sleeper and had pretty short cycles, but that's never been a problem in the past. I usually use the sleep function on the watch to see how long each cycle was. Last night it said: "wear your watch at night to track your sleep" even though I was wearing it in the exactly same place on my wrist as always and it was latched on the tightest hole of the band as always