Original topic:

Sleep Apnea detection and BP monitoring for Galaxy Watches?

(Topic created: 02-09-2024 08:41 PM)
Options
Galaxy Watch
I saw this on a Reddit list tonight. I also saw references to sleep apnea detection in a few on-line tech news sources. But, is there any beef to the reference to BP detection finally getting US approval?

It would be a great thing if true. 
10 Replies
Options
Galaxy Watch
I'm aware of Dante63's workaround, but I have been looking for the real thing for ~6 years now and hoping Samsung would finally address whatever problem is obstructing FDA approval of said BP monitoring. I appreciate Dante63's work on this, but you'd think after 6 years they'd figure it out. But thank you for suggesting it. My Doc wants me to take my BP twice a day, which I do with a cuff. I finally bought the GW Active 5 years ago and quickly returned it when it was clear that Samsung was nowhere near ready for FDA approval. Usually, there is no great fanfare when approval is granted, it just happens and the company issues a press release. But, I've been treating it as a personal quest, and I got really excited when I saw a reference to official BP monitoring on Reddit last night. Supposedly,the sleep apnea monitoring is FDA approved. Let's hope so.

My GW4 Classic stands ready for official BP monitoring, but I think Godot might get here first!
GabrielStorm64
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

sleep apnea detection has been fda cleared.  see this bit from android headlines.  .

The feature will only detect OSA(obstructive sleep apnea) though and not CSA (central sleep apnea) according to Samsung’s press release. The feature will however be able to detect signs of moderate and severe OSA.

Options
Galaxy Watch
@GabrielStorm64 that makes perfect sense as the detection method, no doubt uses the audio derived snore detection data and the photo-optical blood O2 data (the louder the snore, the better the data?).

Regardless, it may not be perfect, but it passes FDA review, and in my opinion that's a real good thing.

I didn't see that feature reference last night. Thanks for posting it.
GabrielStorm64
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
You're welcome. And for those wondering when we'll see it... 3rd quarter this year is when to expect it.
Options
Galaxy Watch
Yep, that was included in what I saw, anytime after July 1. We're getting there. What I saw indicated that Watch6 would be the initial release with GW4 and GW5 following on later.
0 Likes
GabrielStorm64
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

good to know .  i don't have apena as far as i know...  but it would be good to have just in case.

0 Likes
PACritic
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Nice upcoming feature for sleep apnea. What about getting the BP approved by the FDA. Have the work around but I'm sure this could have been addressed over the last few years. Seems odd other watches have turned on. 
Options
Galaxy Watch
Agree! BP should have been worked out by now, especially, considering that this was a feature highly advertised at launch of the GW4!
Now on GW6 and still nothing? Is Samsung even trying?
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch
The FDA works at its own pace. Will it approve BP, highly unlikely in this country. They are in bed with device manufacturers. It's a $2 billion industry, allowing watches to do BP will cut into that business significantly.

You can bypass the lock on your watch by modifying it. There are YouTube videos out there on how to do this!
0 Likes