JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Weather app launching unexpectedly

(Topic created: 07-20-2021 10:18 PM)
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

I use the Accuweather app on my S21, with a third party widget. I removed the stock Samsung Weather widget from my home screen and do not generally use that app at all. In fact, I just realized I can't even find Weather in my apps drawer, and can only launch the Weather app by first adding its widget. Three times in the last week or so I woke the phone and found the Weather app running. What could be triggering the app to launch while the phone is asleep? If it matters, I use Nova launcher. 

Thanks

Dan
Galaxy S22 SM-S901U on Xfinity Mobile
5 Replies
User_name
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21

the stock weather app can only be accessed/added via widgets is correct sir. 

did it open randomly even when the widget wasn't on your home screen? 

try it in One UI Home instead of Nova. 

0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you for the confirmation on accessing the app -- I guess it behaves the same as one of my favorite Samsung widget apps, the Magnifier widget. I changed a couple of permissions for the Weather app and am waiting to see if it still launches on its own (yes, with no widget on the home screen and no deliberate activation). If it does, then I'll try under One UI as well.

Dan

Dan
0 Likes
Solution
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Hey,

@requa,

The widget wasn't on my home screen but it was always running in the background. Running services. I used the app manager to to clear the cache and data, deny all permissions, turn off notifications, restrict background data usage, change system settings not allowed, picture in a picture not allowed.

Weather app settings (gear icon) 

Use current location off, Auto refresh off, refresh when app opens off, weather alerts off, add weather app to apps drawer off.

Never heard from it again. I'm running Nova Prime beta, waiting for Nova 7 update. 

Best regards,

CLF 

requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks, @Clf. This sound like the nuclear option that should neve be necessary, but I guess it is and it works. I've set similar settings and crossed my fingers.

Dan
0 Likes
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@requa,

You're very welcome. I agree, widgets should only be active if we add them to the desktop. This one kept using data and other resources, I finally had a enough of it. I hope that's the end of it on your S21.

Take care, 

CLF 

0 Likes