Note 8 Died/ Unresponsive

Highlighted
Constellation

Note 8 Died/ Unresponsive

Just bought a brand new Galaxy Note 8 from my Verizon retailer 2 months ago. Last night I let the battery die completely, and figured I'd just charge it later. (Not like this is the first time it has ever died completely.) So I plugged it in and it showed a circle with a lightning bolt, but the red charging LED did not light up. I figured since it was dead completely, it would just take a few minutes to power up. It never did. It won't charge. I talked to Samsung customer support who told me to press different button combinations to reboot it/hard reset it-- nothing worked, because none of the buttons are responsive either. The whole phone is completely unresponsive to EVERYTHING. It has never been dropped, put near water, NOTHING-- it is in perfect condition. Since it is under warranty, I took it to Verizon and got a REFURBISHED one being sent to me as a replacement.

My Galaxy Note 4 NEVER had a problem like this.

Why would this happen?

Samsung needs to figure this out.

Second of all, why am I being sent a REFURBISHED device? I just bought this brand new, and now due to a Samsung defect, I am stuck with a refurb. I can't believe it.

9 REPLIES
Asteroid

Re: Note 8 Died/ Unresponsive

First off Verizon should give you a brand new phone since it's under warranty and only 2 months old. Second fyi  you should never let a lithium battery go below 10% as they can and will short out. That's why I carry one of those solar battery packs whenever I'm away from a power source for a day or more

Constellation

> Second fyi  you should never let a lithium battery go below 10% as they can and will short out.

This is very similar to saying, "don't turn the brightness all the way up or you'll damage the phone permanently", but worse.

A consumer should never have to worry about this sort of things. We are not dealing with generation 1 phones here. It is the manufacturer's job to make sure battery charge doesn't ever fall below levels considered to be critical.

Asteroid

I heard note 8 are having a battery issue.. Don't let Samsung con you into with their replacement program note 7 ownwers were screws into paying for unwanted phones it's best to go with another bt

Brand at least you will have a new phone and not conned into paying full price for a used phone or phone you don't want beaware 

Asteroid

Samsung is having another battery issue with note 8  as the 7. It's best to switch to another brand you'll have a new phone not a refurbished or used phone with a full price tag. Samsung screwed slot of note 7 ownwers with their replacement program. Paying for unwanted phones and a downgrade.. Switch to apple or other brand. Do not trust Samsung 

Constellation

Same thing happened to my note 8 . It died wildly after throwing weird mode and messages I never seen in any other note I own.  I even took some pictures.   I tried everything to revive it afterwards.   Finally what did it for me was that I stopped by bestbuy and put phone on wireless charging pad.  Woke up and was back to life.   Man I was relieved. 

Asteroid

usersFRrD4kJkx wrote:

> Second fyi  you should never let a lithium battery go below 10% as they can and will short out.

This is very similar to saying, "don't turn the brightness all the way up or you'll damage the phone permanently", but worse.

A consumer should never have to worry about this sort of things. We are not dealing with generation 1 phones here. It is the manufacturer's job to make sure battery charge doesn't ever fall below levels considered to be critical.

I'm agreeing with him, it's samsung fault as they should/could of put in a protection circuit. My statement was just a way to warn others so the don't get stuck!!

Constellation

I believe just for the battery issues alone that Samsung is having; Note 4 will go down in history as the best note ever produced in apex of Samsung.   RIP with the last of the "removable battery kind". 

Constellation

1. Is there a way to know which phones are affected, short of actually trying this out? By seriously number or something?

2. Well a firmware update fix this?

Constellation

This happened to me last night. Went from about 15% to brick in about 3 minutes.  Did some research and read about charge stacking. That did not seem to work. I left it plugged in overnight and it still would not turn on this morning. Did some more research and found someone who tried a reboot with volume down + power button and it worked for them. That did not (by itself) work for me. So then I tried both simultaneously and after 3 tries it woke up to the boot screen. I chose  "boot normal" and then left it on the charger until 100% and I'm typing on it now. Oddly, upon reboot it said 25% charge. 

Anyway, the process is as follows:

1. Hold volume down + power button.

2. While holding those, plug & unplug the charger on 20 second cycles. 20 seconds plugged in and about 10 seconds unplugged.

With any luck you'll resurrect your phone. Good luck. It might also be that this is smoke and mirrors and that the 25% is important in some way. All I know is that I got it to wake up. Again, good luck!

Note: I received a system update about two days prior to this event ~ 28th Dec.