Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MADCAT
Asteroid

Counterfeit MicroSD Evo+ cards

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,
I purchased the memory cards of the Samsung brand in the AliExpress online store (with delivery from China).
Cards model "Samsung MicroSD EVO +" in the volume of 64 and 256 Gb.
On receipt of this products - they turned out to be a fake (counterfeit).
The following characteristics do not match original:
The country of production (Taiwan)
The color of the microSD card (black)
a specially programmed controller is installed on the card that reports the above volume, but the real volume of both cards is 16 GB, the read / write speed is 5 Mb / sec, as tested by H2testw v1.4.
However, the seller sent the cards in their original packaging, and the holograms on the package are passing the test on Samsung web-site
https: (slash)(slash) support-cn (dot) samsung (dot) com (slash) product_validation/productverification/card_memory.html
The seller has also provided the authorization file from the samsung representative office in China / purchase invoice to proved the item was original
(most likely the cards were actually bought, but resold inside the country without packaging, and the package was used to sent a fake cards).
AliExpress asks for a formal response from Samsung office regarding the originality of these cards:
"We would like you to provide counter evidences as following within 7 calendar days: the official inspection statement from the brand owner."

Video of unpackaging:
www (dot) youtube (dot) com (slash) watch?v=3s84827ks-o&feature=youtu.be

Black side of the microsd card can be seen on the video at 222 seconds.

The data from h2testw application for 256Gb card:
Warning: Only 255991 of 255992 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
16.1 GByte OK (33799991 sectors)
233.8 GByte DATA LOST (490469577 sectors)
Details:71.5 KByte overwritten (143 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
233.8 GByte corrupted (490469434 sectors)
71.5 KByte aliased memory (143 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000406206e00
Expected: 0x0000000406206e00
Found: 0xa10b6d27b8aef320
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 9.28 MByte/s
Reading speed: 6.73 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Where i can get such official inspection statement (over the internet, since there is no samsung office in my city)? I can take additional pictures if needed.
Some of the other buyers on AliExpress has noted that they received such statement from Samsung representatives:
"Samsung confirm the case.. Black card from EVO means its a fake card (it should be white)"

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nebula

Re: Counterfeit MicroSD Evo+ cards

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi MADCAT,

The 2 cards are counterfeit based on the information on the back of the cards being incorrect.

Also, our SD Cards are only made in Korea or the Philippines.

I've attached an example of the back of a legit card.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello MADCAT,

Please attach photos of the front and back of just the cards.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

MADCAT
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi MADCAT,

The 2 cards are counterfeit based on the information on the back of the cards being incorrect.

Also, our SD Cards are only made in Korea or the Philippines.

I've attached an example of the back of a legit card.

View solution in original post

Vidmaster
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi SamsungDave,

I've just received 2 Evo 32GB and to me these look pretty fake since the packaging is saying CN but the card itself Made in Phillipines. Also the card is white and not black. Can you confirm? 

sd1_png

sd2

sd3

sd4

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hello Vidmaster,

The card you have seems to be a legitimate product form the pictures you provided. However, the card is for a different region, which is China, not the USA. This may mean that there can be potential warranty issues in the future as our warranty is region based/locked.
userl1YPAm5F1A
Constellation

Re: Counterfeit MicroSD Evo+ 512GB cards

JUMP TO SOLUTION

currently theres a bunch of 512 evo plus cards for sale on ebay for less than 1/2 price

looking around ...they seem to be legit available only in the UK

i bought 2 of these and they just didn't work right...it seemed to be smaller than what the OS was reporting..they would work..but after so much stored the files would be corrupt.

i finally realized to take a closer look and compared them to my existing 128 and 256 and it was glaring how counterfeit they looked

kerning of the 512 on the flash card was all spread out, the printing was blurry when zoomed in and the back was a pruplish plastic with blurry serial numbers

the seller claims these are legit and are "international" versions, but that defies logic...i have a return coming, so surely don't want to get into an argument until i get my money back

bummer is..he's sold many of them and everyone but the thieves get hurt with counterfeit goods..

i blurred out my serial number on the legit cards

am i wrong or are these blatant counterfeits?

userBCWWWXfaK8
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

I bought a 64gb micro sd evo plus card at the weplay store in chile.

It seems to me that the card is false, since the speed of reading writing does not reach for the category u3 that indicates, in addition the edge is black and the adapter does not indicate the country of manufacture.

I attach a link to pictures and speed tests of the system, so that they can indicate me if it is false and recover my money with the seller:

https://app.box.com/s/irnj8ypllf5jpjvm7dm8s266tcnvz44v

This is the register of the speed test:

Warning: Only 63967 of 63968 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
30.2 GByte OK (63349221 sectors)
32.2 GByte DATA LOST (67655195 sectors)
Details:15.9 GByte overwritten (33482263 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
16.2 GByte corrupted (34172932 sectors)
6 KByte aliased memory (12 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x000000078d43cb38
Expected: 0x689109c4297a2ae1
Found: 0xffd2f328c473d4e1
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 14.6 MByte/s
Reading speed: 13.1 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Regards

WanderlustX2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I know this is old, but I was looking at one that I just got back from Samsung RMA and wondering what the SMEMORUSG on the barcode meant and it brought me here and the question looked like an interesting read.

Anyway, my first indication was the package that it came in shows that it's SDHC (which go up to 32 GB capacity) rather than SDXCbut they did remember to put SDXC on the card itself.  They probably mass produce the package for all capacities and didn't catch that for the 64 to 256 GB cards.

How did your situation turn out?  I see "imported" electronics on Amazon and eBay from sellers where I think "imported" means "counterfit" in many cases.

MADCAT
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've received full refund from Aliexpress. Through they have asked to upload video of card test with program "h2testw", it took 24 hours to test 256 gb card (due to it's slow read/write speed).

https://cloud.video.taobao.com/play/u/133168528195/p/1/e/6/t/1/55967995.mp4?auth_key=YXBwX2tleT0zODI...