Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

T-Mobile 5G connection issues, possible solution

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

I posted this on the wrong forum on Thursday when I found this out and just realized it! So reposting here because 5G is only available on the newer phones and I meant to post here originally anyway 😊

TMobile has just released an update about their 5G and issues with SIM cards. They have found that customers whose SIM cards have the letters TM plus 4 numbers are not 5G compatible. The new compatible SIM cards have R15 on them and are compatible. If you have a non compatible SIM card and have a 5G phone, please reach out to TMobile for a new SIM card. 

New SIM cards that support 5G start with R followed by number, whereas the old non compatible SIMs start with TM.New SIM cards that support 5G start with R followed by number, whereas the old non compatible SIMs start with TM.

I found that I actually did need to replace my SIM card as it was one of the old ones, which I knew it was but everytime I called TMobile and asked they told me it was a good one. I went on Thursday and replaced my SIM with the new one and my phone has been working much better, switching between 5G and LTE without a problem.

*if I have helped you, please like this post ❀️ If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a solution βœ… Hope you have a great day!
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: T-Mobile 5G connection issues, possible solution

JUMP TO SOLUTION
yeah, I was using my old one too, and it would show full 5G bars, but if I moved from a 5G area, it wasn't switching to LTE and I wasn't getting reliable mobile data. I had called and chatted with TMobile reps about it, and every time they told me my SIM was good, I didn't need a new one. Even when I told them it's the same one I had when I switched from ATT and brought my unlocked Note 8 with me... now that I got my new SIM, it's working the way it should! Smh.
*if I have helped you, please like this post ❀️ If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a solution βœ… Hope you have a great day!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I was using my old one and still getting 5G but since I saw this I just switched it to the one from the box.

"New is always better" - Barney Stinson
lol
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION
yeah, I was using my old one too, and it would show full 5G bars, but if I moved from a 5G area, it wasn't switching to LTE and I wasn't getting reliable mobile data. I had called and chatted with TMobile reps about it, and every time they told me my SIM was good, I didn't need a new one. Even when I told them it's the same one I had when I switched from ATT and brought my unlocked Note 8 with me... now that I got my new SIM, it's working the way it should! Smh.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

Phone Call and Text Message Issues with T-Mobile S20 and S20+

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The wife and I are having issues with our S20 including:

• Incoming calls from others go to voicemail
  • Outgoing calls to each other go to voicemail but calls to others go through fine
  • Text messages are not going through to each other

So far we have done the following:

• Replaced SIM card
  • Wiped phones and have not installed any additonal apps

What has temporarily fixed the issue is rebooting the phones.  Here is another odd occurence that happened today:

• Wife sent me a text message at 8:27am.  I did not get it.  She said she tried to call me but it went to voicemail. I tried to send her a text message and got an error message saying that it could not be delivered.  As soon as that happened her message that she had sent an hour earlier came through to me. 

We have full bar 5G cell strength.  We have strong Wi-Fi and we have tried both cell service and Wi-Fi calling.  Nothing fixes the issue permanently. 

Any ideas from anyone?

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Phone Call and Text Message Issues with T-Mobile S20 and S20+

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is a known issue increasingly more common. And it is a major fault. The phone is not fit for purpose. Samsung need to get this resolved. A flagship phone that cannot receive phone calls is simply ridiculous.

See the following threads. It is not carrier specific. It's a handset issue not a network provider issue.

You will find toggling flight mode on and off restores connectivity. 

Harrass Samsung until it is resolved. The more people who report this issue directly and forcefully to Samsung the more likely it is a fix or even an acknowledgement of the issue will come. I suspect Samsung are trying to avoid a PR disater by not publicly acknowledging this fault.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/S20-Ultra-not-receiving-calls/m-p/1190155#M7116

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/Samsung-S20-ultra-5G-connection-issues/td-p/1143555

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userZ9sqbHf28d 

i have the same issue with my S20 Ultra on tmobile...it's not actually a Samsung issue as much as tmobile exagerating their 5G network areas...I've commented on this repeatedly but here's a link to my last response to someone else with same issue and how to fix it:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/Samsung-s20-ultra-incoming-and-outgoing-call-issue/m-...

hope this helps!

Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Re: Phone Call and Text Message Issues with T-Mobile S20 and S20+

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I just tried this. if it works, thank you!
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi @cj0586 

did switching to LTE help with your connection issues? Just wanted to follow up and see if you gave it a shot or not.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What was this? link is not working. I am having same issue

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Says this link was archived. Please help having same issue. I run my business on my cell phone and need to get it fixed.