JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

TV Plus not Working with New Router (QN55Q6FNA with Nighthawk CAX80)

(Topic created: 07-30-2020 09:07 AM)
Paul_G
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

To start off this long winded explanation of a problem I will say I have a 2018 Samsung QN55Q6FNA QLED TV that performed all functions as expected until I upgraded my router/modem.

I was previously using Optimum's Modem Arris TM1602 and Optimum's Router Sagemcom F@st 5260CV and all services were working fine on my TV. I upgraded to the brand new Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 and when I connected my TV to the network, TV Plus stopped working. All channels appear in the channel guide and are selectable but when I select a channel it does not load and instead provides an error message "Error. There was a problem while trying to play the TV PLUS channel. Check your network settings or try again later." I must specify ALL other internet connected apps have been working as usual (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, etc.), only TV Plus is encountering this issue.

In terms of troubleshooting, I've tried everything I could think of including: Upgrading Firmware (current T-KTM2AKUC-1294.1, BT-S), resetting network connection, using wired connection, using wireless connection (only 2 feet away from router), auto scanning channels again, turning off IPv6, power cycling TV, unplugging/plugging back in TV, signing in/out of Samsung Account, Resetting Smart Hub and ultimately doing a factory reset. However, I did try connecting the TV to my phone, using my phone as a hotspot and boom! TV Plus started working again. Then, I connect it back to the router and TV Plus goes offline again.

These steps led me to believe for sure it is a router issue somehow blocking access to TV Plus. That is until I remembered I have a 2016 Samsung UN43KU6300 that I rarely use for streaming purposes. I figured let me give TV Plus a shot on the older TV. Using the same wireless connection, to my surprise, TV Plus started working on my 2016 TV, running on software version 1242. A quick note about that 2016 TV is that it had been acting up ever since my house was struck by lightning (2018) while it was powered on, frying the main board. I had managed to obtain a new main board, pop the covers off and replace the fried board to successfully revive the TV but still things sometimes act up a bit. Besides the point, my thought now is that the newer software version 1294 is somehow not compatible with my router in terms of TV Plus but the older version is. Is there a way I can downgrade my 2018 TV's version to match the 2016 TV, flash drive side loading perhaps?

It is also worth noting my old modem Arris TM1602 was using the DOCSIS3.0 protocol while the new router/modem combo uses the DOCSIS3.1 protocol.

I have been in contact with Samsung Experts who have taken remote control of the TV and after 50+ minutes came up with the conclusion that it must be the Modem/Router causing the issue (since it worked on my mobile hotspot) and redirected me to my Modem/Router Supplier. I then contacted Netgear Experts to tell them everything I had learned only for them to tell me it must be a TV issue (since the 2016 TV connected) and they redirected me back to Samsung. I fear I will be in this Ping Pong of deflections for eternity which is why I came to this message board.

If anyone has any knowledge or information please share. I am an engineer and a perfectionist and it's eating away at me not knowing the solution to this problem! Thank you all who have read this far!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
RyanBlakeIT
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

So the best way to troubleshoot this type of issue would be to do a packet capture.  Based on my quick research, it appears that the CAX80 is capable of doing this.  If you go to the Web UI of your router (usually something like http://192.168.1.1) and add /debug.htm to the end, you should see an option to enable the packet capturing.  Please enable that feature and reproduce the issue (try and do this quickly and, ideally, without other devices active as to limit the size of the packet capture) then stop the capture, download the .pcap file, zip it up, and send it over via private message.  I will take a look and see if I notice anything odd.

Another thing you could try would be to put the TV in the DMZ of the CAX80.  See page 40 of this guide.

Alternatively, while not what you want to hear after shelling out hundreds of dollars on the Nighthawk CAX80, I would strongly suggest buying a modem separate from a router.  While it may be tempting to get an all-in-one, it's one of those situations where it may do multiple things but it doesn't do either very well.  You are also at the mercy of the ISP to push firmware updates that are compatible with their network.  With the two separate devices, there are several benefits.  You have purpose-built equipment that does one thing and does it rather well.  Plus, if one of the functions fail, you aren't throwing out the entire system, you are just replacing that one piece.  I personally have a separate modem (Surfboard 8200) and router, which works very well.

Ryan Blake
Information Technology Management Professional (15+ years)
QN75Q80TAF QLED TV & Q900T Soundbar

View solution in context

14 Replies
Raf1
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

This may sound weird but have you tired moving the router further away from the tv and see if that helps.  You mentioned that the router is positioned only 2 feet away and that may actually be an issue.   It's worth a shot. 

0 Likes
usermEmfrjMeZY
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have the same issue- Netflix- Amazon works fine. Tv plus does not works with CAX80. Not a TV issue since it works fine when using hotspot from cellular.  Thoughts? 

0 Likes
Paul_G
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hi Raf1, thanks for the suggestion but this not work for me 

0 Likes
usermEmfrjMeZY
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Paul have find a solution? I have the same issue- did everything possible and issue persist. When connecting to hotspot via cellphone works. 

0 Likes
Big1E1
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame
I had the same issue with un40nu6070(2018 model) just had to manually set up dns on the TV to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4(this one work for me) I happen to see this in another post while I was digging for any possible answer. hope this help
Members_Mh1ABCo
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I also have this issue with the CAX80 and both of my Samsung TVs (QN65Q90TAFXZA & UN65MU8000)

I have tried everything imaginable to get the TV PLUS app to work.

It's also worth noting that wifi calling/ texting features do not work with the CAX80 and Samsung phones either. 

Netgear technicians have not been able to identify or solve the issue

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CAX-80-WIFI-calling-issues/m-p/2036239

Bottom line, I think the problem is with the router. Possibly firmware. Definitely a communication problem between Netgear and Samsung. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hello, everyone. I would like to send this to my engineering team to be researched. Could you please provide the following information?

Television

Model Number:

Software Version:

Router

Manufacturer:

Model Number:

Software/Firmware Version:

0 Likes
Members_Mh1ABCo
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame