Qn800a backlight issues

(Topic created: 07-24-2021 12:46 PM)
user5EaUa7u0ge
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

21BB4557-E474-4483-B042-C9BE2E55E941.jpeg

18F3E80E-276B-45ED-8348-B72EA18AE67D.jpeg

Hi. Just received my 2nd Qn800a 85 inch. Image attached shows the issue (should be a uniform gray screen). Visible mostly on white or grayscale images but sometimes on low contrast color.  Samsung service came and said the whole panel needed to be replaced so considering it was new out of the box, we agreed I should return and replace, which I did. Replacement has THE EXACT SAME ISSUE. 

I can’t go through the process of exchanging again as it took an enormous amount of effort. 

This occurs regardless of the source, resolution, or cables and is also subtly visible on the picture test.  Certainly this isn’t normal for these TVs? Is this a setting I’m ignorant of? Any help is appreciated. 

5 Replies
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
Qled and Frame
You can try to lower the brightness and see if that helps. But as a whole, back lit and edge lit TV's are prone to issues like this as well as edge bleed and clouding. If you want the best picture OLED is the way to go.
0 Likes
DragonRM
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I’m having this exact issue on my qn800a 75”. They were going to send a tech out but I had to postpone it for a few weeks. Have had the tv for about a month and a half and immediately noticed it when watching something animated or while gaming from the first day. I opened a ticket and jumped through the hoops… manual firmware updates etc along with full factory resets with the same issue. There were a couple of people who had theirs replaced on the Euro forums and didn’t have the issue with the replacement. One of them had multiple panels replaced and didn’t get a good one until it was a newer manufacture date. It looks like the old reflector issues they used to have when the glue gave way but this has to be a manufacturing defect for it to be that many of them with over 1000 zones… would guess it’s about 20-25% of the total leds are doing it and form the grid pattern which is too even to be a random issue. Going to try and get mine replaced soon too.

0 Likes
user5EaUa7u0ge
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

Thanks for the reply.  I was starting to think I was the crazy one.  The tech who came out had never seen this before, nor had the supervisor who he showed the pictures to.

I'm in the process of getting another tech out and will likely go ahead with a panel replacement.  I agree with your assessment that the grid pattern is too regular for it to be a random issue and is clearly a manufacturing defect.

Can you point me towards the European forum where this is discussed, I can't seem to find it.

Thanks again for the reply.  Please keep me updated on your progress and I will do the same.

0 Likes
DragonRM
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I lost my bookmark for the euro one but I’ll try and find it again. I had a tech come out today to look at mine and he says it’s normal for them to show through in grayscale but not during normal viewing. He’s not sure if they’ll do anything or not yet since they require it to be visible during the Samsung require screen tests. If it comes back I’m still going to ask support since I know not all panels do it. Saw one where the 65 version was doing it and they replaced it with a 75 and that one didn’t so I’m going to fight it if they say no at first.

0 Likes
DragonRM
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

We do have a discussion going on in the AVS qn800 forum as well with a lot more posts and picture issues than here. https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2021-samsung-qn800a-owners-thread-no-price-talk.3189120/page-9 If you’re interested in some more info. As far as the Euro thread I guess Samsung didn’t replace it for him but the retailer did and it didn’t have the issue.

0 Likes