Original topic:

Biometric Data

(Topic created: 02-06-2024 02:42 PM)
askingquestion
Cosmic Ray
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Hi, some time ago I have given an app permission to see and control what was shown in my screen via Accessibility settings. 

I had Fingerprint ID in place to unlock my phone. Could they have seen it? If the answer is yes, could they make a copy of my biometric data? Could they possibly steal my identity and fingerprints?

If someone know the answer and is kind enough to respond I would be very happy.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Justi_Doge
Astronaut
Options
Based on previous questions, the Galaxy A34 uses an optical fingerprint sensor, this is an entirely separate sensor from the display, your biometrics should be safe, unless the app is actively trying to steal it from memory. On Samsung's flagship phones, they store the biometric data in something called "Knox Vault", which is basically a super secure chip which no 3rd party application can access. Other Samsung phone's don't have this and store sensitive data in "normal" storage.

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
Justi_Doge
Astronaut
Options
Based on previous questions, the Galaxy A34 uses an optical fingerprint sensor, this is an entirely separate sensor from the display, your biometrics should be safe, unless the app is actively trying to steal it from memory. On Samsung's flagship phones, they store the biometric data in something called "Knox Vault", which is basically a super secure chip which no 3rd party application can access. Other Samsung phone's don't have this and store sensitive data in "normal" storage.
askingquestion
Cosmic Ray
Options

Hi again Justi_Doge! Sorry for my continuous paranoid questions but as you can see it is the first time I ever came across the tought of how sloppily I have given apps permission to sensitive information.

I guess ā€”or hopeā€” that my phone falls under the super secure chip category.

That app was downloaded from Google Play so again I guess ā€”or hopeā€” that it didn't create enough mess to enter  that deep into the phone's memory and access permissions. Thank you.