JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Solving insufficient memory problem on Samsung Frame TV with flash memory reset

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
Rickhecht
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

I’m posting this in the hope that it will help others with the same frustrating problem I have had with my Frame TV: problems with “insufficient memory.”  I have searched on the web and made two calls to Samsung support, following multiple steps that did not fix the problem. I cleared caches on apps as directed and deleted unused apps. This resulted in temporary fixes. Within weeks I was getting the same insufficient memory messages and constant problems.  I then did a factory reset on the TV. This did nothing to fix the memory problem, but did take time to restore everything.  I called Samsung support and twice.  The first recommendation was to do another reset, which again did nothing except get me to the point where most of my streaming apps couldn’t be restored due to low memory. The next recommendation was to buy a memory stick and expand memory. When I called Samsung back to go over set up of the memory stick, the next tech said on review of my record that it didn’t look like we had tried a flash memory reset. He walked me through this and in about 5 minutes I went from no free memory to nearly 10 gb— with all my apps restored!  Here is what we did: 1. Press the power button on the Frame TV screen. On my TV this is on the bottom right side of the frame— you have to look under the bottom edge. The tech said this is in the middle on some screens. I pressed this for a few seconds until the “control panel “ appeared on the screen.  This was a menu bar on the lower part of the screen that included a power on/off icon.  2. When the control panel appears, push and hold the power button on the remote for at least 5 seconds (helps to have remote close to you as the control panel screen has to be on and it only lasts about 5 seconds). The TV should reboot.  When it came back on I had to set up the TV again like it was new— I could skip a lot of screens. But when this was done everything was fixed!  The tech said a lot of junk cached files can accumulate that don’t get cleared out with the app cache clear step— this seemed like exactly what had happened. I was very relieved that after months of searching I finally got help that helped. Good luck with this— hope it can help! 

4 Replies
tomsframe
Comet
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

I have been hanging-around here for years now and don't think I've ever seen this before. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

My 2017 frame has not given me any trouble, and I don't relish the idea of having to re-assert all the settings "from scratch", but I will record your notes and try this if I have any problems with mine, thank you.

0 Likes
bmport
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Hi! I’ve had the same issue with my 2021 frame tv, tried every troubleshooting option and it still shows that it’s using 11.13gb of 11.13gb of memory and that’s only with the pre installed apps. Samsung support has been unhelpful thus far and just told me to install a usb flash drive (which I have and would help to install new apps but won’t help with the tv still being out of memory). I tried this but when I hold the power button down the tv just boots up normally (showing the frame logo) but not in any of the setup screens. Was there anything else the tech had you do to get it to do the flash memory reset?

0 Likes
Solution
Rickhecht
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

The first step I followed was to hold down the power button on the TV screen for about 5 seconds until a menu bar popped up on the lower part of the screen. The menu bar included a power button icon. While this menu was showing I had to immediately push and hold the power button on the remote for 5+ seconds until the TV rebooted.  It was only after this combination of steps that the flash memory was cleared and the setup screens appeared.  The first time I tried this I was not quick enough with the remote and the menu bar on the screen had gone off— it only appears for about 5 seconds.  Without the menu bar being active on the screen the TV just turned on and off like normal— so make sure you see a menu bar superimposed on the screen when you’re holding down the power button on the remote. The tech also suggested asking for help with doing a ”flash memory reset” if I needed help on this in the future. Hope this helps!

bmport
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Thank you! I actually found this additional instruction last night to hold the power button on the tv, and it did finally fix the memory issue on my frame tv!

under the Samsung logo on the TV you have a small black button about 2-3cm in from the bottom edge. With the tv turned on

1. press the button at the logo for 5-10 seconds

2. Release the button

3. press the button on the TV Remote for 5-10 seconds. Tv  should go  black and then restart after a while. 

0 Likes