JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Create Samsung Secure Erase boot-utility on Linux Computer

(Topic created: 10-09-2022 07:32 AM)
userwQFrHlHNmd
Asteroid
Options
Computers

So I own 3 Samsung SSDs and I am looking forward to buying the new Samsung 990 Pro.  The problem I have is that I do not have access to a Windows computer with a Samsung drive installed.  With no Windows, I can not create a bootable Secure Erase utility.  Is there a way to create the utility with a Linux computer?

Also, the FAQs section says that the Secure Erase utility only supports Legacy BIOS.  Well I am pretty sure computers don't come with the option to switch to Legacy BIOS, for at least 5 years.  My laptop will only boot in UEFI mode.  What should I do?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userwQFrHlHNmd
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Thanks but I know the alternatives (dd is terrible for SSDs and doesn't even work).  I'd like someone from Samsung to confirm that creating the bootable Secure Erase utility is not possible with a non-Windows computer.

View solution in context

0 Likes
1 Reply
Solution
userwQFrHlHNmd
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Thanks but I know the alternatives (dd is terrible for SSDs and doesn't even work).  I'd like someone from Samsung to confirm that creating the bootable Secure Erase utility is not possible with a non-Windows computer.

0 Likes