Original topic:

Note 9 Contact List Flashing

(Topic created: 08-29-2022 03:13 PM)
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I had a friend share a contact with me. Came in as a .vcf. Loaded fine. I use dark mode all the time. I opened the contact and the screen starts flashing. The border at the bottom where the navigation buttons are is flashing a bright white and the status bar at the top is flashing off and on. Flashes run a bit less than once a second. Acts like it is caught in a loop. Exiting is a bit difficult. I've tried a bunch of things to try to fix.

Reboot
Clear the cache partition
Edit the contact - Change Name
Edit the contact - Change number
Delete the contact - Reenter contact
Check to make sure that contact is in the correct account (All contacts in Samsung directory)
Change to day mode. (Can't see the flashing at the bottom, but the status bar still flashes)
Lower the resolution. (Blinking gets faster)
Lower resolution to the bottom (Blinking get very fast)
Resort the contacts

Click on another contact.
ALL MY CONTACTS ARE NOW FLASHING  (glad that I'm not subject to seizures)

so.... 2 questions.. is there anyone out there that still uses the Note 9 and is there anyone out there that is having this same issue???  Any ideas or suggestions??

0 Likes
8 Replies
joycekv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I am having the exact same problem ever since the last update. Haven't found a fix yet. Although most (not all) of my contacts are synced with my Google acct, I haven't yet tried deleting all the data in the app after clearing the cache. Afraid of losing everything!
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I did find something interesting on mine. If you click on "see the latest updates" the strobe effect triples in speed and it becomes harder to break into the loop to back out.
I've bounced from one account to the other. Nothing I've found breaks the cycle. I've contacted support, sent logs, sent screen recordings and they've done some head scratching, but nothing substantial yet.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I started a whole new deal with support over this. Including a video of the flashing. I told them I've rebooted, cleared the cache partition, tried safe mode, deleted app cache and even deleted app data.
I got a response today. They gave me instructions.

Reboot
Clear cache partition
Delete app cache
Delete app data

Where have I heard all this before??
0 Likes
joycekv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Great .....   I haven't tried contacting Support yet, but may consider going into a local Samsung store (there's one not too far from me).  I've also found that it's difficult to even go back to the contacts list when I pull up any individual contact.  I often (not always) can't even make a call from the individual contact's page.   This all started happening on my phone after the June 1 Security Patch Level was installed on August 25, 2022.  If that's the same timing for your problems, did you happen to mention it in your report to the support group?  My current software version is:  N96OU1UEU9RVG2/N96OU1OYM9FVG2/N96OU1UEU9FBG2     My significant other has the same Note 9 phone & dowloaded the same security patch level, but he's not experiencing any of these problems.  I guess we're just the lucky ones .....   Please let me know if you find anything that works?

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I am running FVG2 also. Security level June 1, 2022 which I would have gotten about the same time. I've had the same difficulty in exiting the contacts list. To me, it seems like it's caught in a loop and we're have problem getting between the pages of the loop.
After that security update, I didn't have any problem until a friend sent me a contact using .vcf in a text message (I use Textra since Samsung did away with the individual text message tones. Textra has then) I hadn't created any new contacts since the update come to think of it. The .vcf file was the first contact that I've created.
On yours, if you click "See the latest updates" on the main screen, does that speed of the flashes increase?
0 Likes
joycekv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I tried clicking "See the latest updates" after reading your last post.  However, the flashing doesn't speed up on mine.   When I first open up contacts it flashes once.   Then when I open up an individual contact it starts flashing fast.  If it lets me go back to the contact list, it stops flashing.  I haven't ever created a new contact from a .vcf file.  I can't remember if I had created any new contacts immediately after receiving the security patch.  I just know I started seeing the flashing the next time I tried to access my contacts.  I use Google Messages instead of the Samsung Messages.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Well.... I think the next time that Samsung contacts me I'll fill them in on this also. Right after the security file is updated? Same problems. Hmm.
I don't know creating the entry from the vcf file caused the problem. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've been in my contact list since then. Most of my common used contacts are on a shorter list, or I just click and dial without actually opening it up. Hmm. Thank you. LOL
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Ok, Update time.  Unknown what happened.  Haven't received any updates (or information) from Samsung.  Only thing I got from them was more requests for File Logs (Sent every time) , Screen shots (Sent every time) and or screen recordings (Sent every time).  They also said for me to Delete the Cache Files (done) and data files (done).  

But suddenly, the flashes have stopped.  Now the only thing left is when I click on "See the Latest Updates"  I get a popup messages that reads "Couldn't connect to Service.  Try again later."  Profile pic and messages don't update...  Some have profile pics, some don't.  Some that use to have pics, no longer have pictures.  

But at least, I'm not seizing anymore..  

0 Likes