JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Apps Panel Closes Automatically When Recent Apps List Changes

(Topic created: 11-02-2021 10:46 PM)
gleitz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

This may be related to https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S21/Error-with-the-side-panel/m-p/2044853 but I could not post on that thread.

When I open the Apps Panel it sometimes closes itself automatically. This is frustrating and I couldn't figure out why it decided to close. 

I am now able to reproduce it in a video. First I open an app that I haven't used in a while, then open the Panel - it will slide shut immediately. I then re-open the Panel and it stays open.

I do this 3 times in a row - first with the Koala app (which does not appear in the recent apps list the first time I open the panel, then it slides shut immediately. When I re-open the panel the recent app does show up). I repeat this with Shazam and finally with Time Buddy.

This is super annoying and pretty much destroys the usefulness of the panel. I'm sure this happens to a lot of people but they probably have a hard time describing why it happens and could not reproduce like I have here.

16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S21
What do you refer as apps panel?
0 Likes
gleitz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

It's the Panel that's called "Apps".

d58f0446-75e2-4498-97d1-1f6d9b761641.jpeg

Did you watch the video that shows the issue?

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S21

Have you tried testing the panel in Safe Mode to see if it still force closes? https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S21

Hello, I understand how frustrating it is when the app panel is self-closing. Have you tried clearing the cache partition of the phone? This video will walk you through the steps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYVknlK8Pwc Please let me know if this helps.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

gleitz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Unfortunately that did not work. I wiped the cache partition and I can still reproduce the problem. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S21
Settings
Apps
Show system app
Search for panel
Clear data of related app

If not

Remove your apps from edge panel one by one to see which one is causing the issue
0 Likes
gleitz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I cannot clear the data of the app because there is no app called Panel in the Apps section of the settings. 

SmartSelect_20211103-081831_Settings.jpg

Even when I remove all apps from the Edge panel the issue still occurs because this is a problem with the reordering of the recent apps that causes the panel to close, not any particular apps that I have selected to appear in the Panel. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S21
Did you enable "show system app" ? Screenshot_20211103-082348_Settings_6283.jpgScreenshot_20211103-082434_Settings_6285.jpgScreenshot_20211103-082412_Settings_6284.jpg
0 Likes
gleitz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Ah thank you - I didn't know that setting was available. I cleared the data from the Edge Panels app but the issue still happens.

I did learn something new - this is not specifically related to the Apps Panel. I turned off all Panels except for "Smart Select" and the issue still occurs. The issue is probably better summarized like this: if you open the Panel as an app is minimizing, or briefly after an app has been minimized, the Panel will close itself.

I have recorded another video of this happening, with narration.

0 Likes